Re: A little spare time to think. Remembering my Chevy Vega..

Over the years, the inevitable subject of worst cars ever comes up, >and the Vega

>is always at or near the top of the list. I've seen it a hundred >times. I feel I should >put in a good word for the little car. > >My sister got a new Vega in early 1973 (a stripped-down one at that, >about as basic >as was available). I then inherited it in late '74 and drove it >merrily for another full >year. That little car was never ONE ounce of trouble. It cruised at >75 mph like >a charm, never burped or coughed, and I actually don't know that the >oil was >ever changed!!!! Maybe the car was serviced when my sister had it, >but I know >it wasn't during the time I had it (young and car stupid I guess). >When >I traded it in for my dream car at the time (the dreamy '75 Toyota >Celica GT), >it had about 42k miles on it and still performed like a trooper. >Maybe it >was a rare gem off the assembly line I don't know, but I had three >friends >who also had Vegas and I don't remember any of them being lemons; one >did have notoriously squeally brakes though IIRC.

Did you live someplace cool/cold? Here in AZ in the heat they were dropping like flies.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

GA, not cool at all, but not AZ either. My wife and I once rented a tiny green econobox at Sky Harbor, and drove to Tucson, then out to Yuma, on to San Diego, back to Yuma and then back to Phx, in May. The little car did well, but WE almost dropped.

Reply to
Otis