Re: coolant leak lower engine

This engine has a half dollar sized stiff O ring that fits in an O ring groove on the interior side of the water pump. It is VERY easy to misalign the gasket when you are trying to push the pump into position to fit the pump mounting bolts. Some might use a very small amount of tack to hold the gasket in place, but I like just smoothing a bit of lube on the side of the O ring that mates the block so it will not stress out of position. This may not be your problem, but it is a possible place to check after your other easier possibilities have checked out. For example, look closely at the thermostat housing to see if there are any leaks associated with its connections. Good luck.

I've had a coolant leak in my 95 camry 5s-fe engine ever since the > radiator failed, losing all coolant and getting so hot I had to take > the valve cover off and pry out the melted spark plug wires. I > recently changed the timing belt/water pump and noticed the leak, as a > small drip, coming from the bottom right rear of the engine near the > power steering pump. There were no leaks from my timing belt work. > The only words I can think of to describe the area is a 'plate' that > the double pulley for the power steering and alternator belts is in > front of. It looks like it has a gasket as well. I don't have any > books that identify this area. I'm trying to find out what it is and > whether as an amateur I can work on it. Thanks.
Reply to
Optimum