Sludge Update

A few weeks ago, I posted about trying to fix a sludge problem. I mentioned using an in-engine cleaner/flush, etc.

Someone suggested checking the valve adjustment on my 1998 Camry... It turned out to be a timing belt/chain. Fixed. Noise gone.

FYI. Check those timing belts / chains. Especially if it has been 70,000+ miles since the last check.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

(908) 542-0244

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I'm still curious as to what the timeing belt has to do with sludge. I have a Camry of that vintage and have received warnings from Toyota about sludge. They call it "oil jelling"

Reply to
mrbhanks

In order to access the cam belt(s), one needs to remove the valve cover, in most cases. Valve cover removal and inspection of the valve train is how the presence of sludge/gelling is determined.

--

  -Philip
Reply to

I had originally thought my Camry had the oil gelling problem because of the trademark noise it was making. Upon further inspection, it was simply a timing belt in need of replacement and knocking around. When the engine was opened up to fix this, it was clean as a whistle. Probably because I did multiple engine flush treatments prior to oil changes, etc.

My advice to people is to look at their mileage when they start to get symptoms. If they are anything over 65-70,000 miles since the last belt change, then it could possibly be that.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill