Sludge removal

After reading responses to my question about the 2.7 engine, I am curious about removing possible existing sludge. I think I now understand the problem with the timing chain of this engine.

The car I just bought has 27,000 miles on it. I have no idea if the previous owner actually changed the oil on a proper schedule.

One of the articles I read says not to add any type of oil additive that will remove sludge.

If I use a quality oil such as Castrol and change it within 3,000 miles, will the possible sludge eventually disappear?

Would I be better off to switch to Mobile 1 synthetic?

Thanks to all that responded to my previous post.

Reply to
bernsax

I have had the same problem and have found that doing oil changes with at high quality oil at about 2000 miles for 6 months usually took care of the sludge and dirty oil. I used Mobil and valvoline, but castrol should do the trick too. Good Luck!

Reply to
Al

You obviosly DIDN't read the responses to the thread about the correct oil (ie:high shear strength oil) required for this engine. I posted the list of approved oils for this engine. Only 1 or 2 of the Mobil 1 variants is proper, and you have to search for it. Synthetics can suspend a lot more contaminants then dino. Long runs with a high detergent product certified for this engine will clean it up.

Reply to
Tony D.

27,000 miles ? just start a oil change regimen. 1000 miles for the first 3 or 4 changes, then go up to 2000 miles and stay there. My dads 2000 intrepid had 60,000 mikes on it and a timing chain guide broke. i got lucky it happened in the driveway the next day after a trip. He heard the grinding noise, shut off car and nothing was damaged. I replaced the tensioner and guides (600 dollars later in parts)and its all good now. by the way you could always just have the tensioner replaced every 50000 miles, it is externally replacable.
Reply to
fireater