Engine sludge?

I have a 2000 Camry at 60000 miles. Today when I checked the engine oil while the car is cold, there is sludge at the tip of the dipstick, as small as a sesame. I wiped it off and dipped it again. It again had some sludge at the tip, though a even smaller amount. On the third try, I didn't see anything. My car runs all fine and smooth as far as I can tell, should I suspect anything?

Reply to
driver

Sludge, perhaps? Toyota calls is gelling, a known problem for witch they have extended the warranty. Take it to a dealer for review, Toyota has authorized its dealers to 'clean, repair, or replace as needed' for eight years unlimited mileage

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Bring copies of your receipts to prove routine oil changes at least once per year according to the letter from Toyota and get ready to argue.

Reply to
Art

Not so! Toyota gave up on blaming owner negligence when the 'gelling' started to show up in engines serviced at dealership in the required manner. That is why they extended the warranty. One need only 'attest' that the oils was changed once a year.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Attest" - that it was done once a year by self or shade tree mechanic- will that satisfy Toyota? j

Reply to
joe

Like I said, get ready to argue. According to Consumer Reports, Toyota tries to weazel out of the promised repairs.

Reply to
Art

That's a good news. Where can I read it up on their site though? I want to make sure I actually qualify for it.

If after the check, the dealer tells me the engine is fine, is there anything I can do to verify? What's their guideline to determine an engine repair? If they tell me it needs to be repaired, is it actually a good idea to opt for it?

Reply to
driver

Toyota now carries Mobil 1 5W-30 for their cars and I recommend that you consider using this, or their extended service product. It does a good job keeping the junk in suspension, which is where you want it.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Go to

click on the About Toyota drop-down, click on the Search/Help link, Frequently Asked Questions link, then search "oil gelling."

You can look at the valvetrain when the valve cover is removed.

What's their

Yes.

Reply to
Ray O

Most likely the dealership will do what they have been doing in most instance where the engine has not died. They will clean the engine and install synthetic oil.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How much does cleaning cost?

Say the car totally dies, I guess the engine has to be replaced. How much would it cost for a 4-cylinder Camry Engine in that case?

Reply to
driver

Assuming you are concerned about the cost to you, and not the cost itself, if your vehicle is less than eight years old..nothing

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No. Actually I want to get a sense on how much repairs like this would cost me if I pay out of my own pocket?

Reply to
driver

That depends on where you live. Rates are different in different markets. In some the shop rates are as low as $45 and in others it is around $100. You will need to search rates in you area. I would not worry about that until a dealer determines if you vehicle meets the warranty extension criteria

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I wasn't aware that Toyota had a oil gelling problem with their 4 cylinder engines. And as Scott notes, there have been no reports of oil related failures by folks who know that their oil has been changed (i.e., do it yourselfers and others who look under the hood after a service). Unfortunately, some dealerships are not quite as honest as others and there's pretty good evidence that oil changes were, shall we say, improperly performed. This isn't unique to Toyota. I found a factory Honda oil filter on an Accord *after* a routine dealer-performed oil change. They assured me the oil had been changed but they just forgot to change the filter. Right.

So, driver, how often do you get your oil changed?

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

I had my 01 Prism's oil changed yesterday at the Chevy dealer where I bought the car. I asked the service manager about the sludge problem and he said he never heard of it. Of course, the only Toyota engines serviced by a Chevy dealer are the Corolla 4s so it makes sense.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---