surging when coasting

We have a 88 camry wagon - automatic. The front end has always been kinda clunky. We replaced struts, cv joints and had two different mechanics look at it - without ever finding the problem. It has been suggested that the clunkyness is not related to the suspention, but rather the transmission. Now it has started to 'surge' when coasting or when slowing down. It's got 235,000 km on it and is in very good condition for a car of that age and milage. Does anyone know anything about the 'clunkyness' and the 'surging'? TIA

Reply to
rigollet272

You might look to your fuel pump and/or fuel injectors, and the fuel filter, which should have been replaced by now.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Reply to
Wayne55dud

Surging while coasting could be due to the fuel cut feature. Falling out of gear at decceleration will cause rpm to go up. Clunks at front end could be due to: aftermarket warped brake pads that are too loose in the caliper slots; worn caliper bushings; driver side axle flange hitting the differential pinion shaft; loose or broken center motor mount; damaged lower conrtol arms

Reply to
Doctor J