91 escort front end vibration while coasting

After exhaustively searching the web and usenet postings, I would sincerely appreciate any advice regarding a strong vibration (or wobble) from the frond end of my 92 Ford Escort Wagon (1.9L, >117,000 mi) while coasting.

The problem only shows up at higher speeds (greater than 45 mph) when I take my foot off of the accelerator. The vibration is very pronounced, and it can be felt through the steering wheel. The vibration goes away when I apply the brakes or when I resume acceleration.

Although the "problem" seems to come from the drivers' side, I've checked both sides and found no play in the wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, or rack assembly. There is only minor play (

Reply to
Troy Hamilton

I don't suppose this vehicle has a tach, does it? What are the rpms like when it does this?

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Around 1000 rpm, give or take--normal engine idle speed.

Reply to
Bone

How old are the tie rod ends? When was the last time the wheels were balanced?

I know you said that you already checked the tie rod ends, but if by chance, they are the original, replace them anyway.

Reply to
scott21230