'00 Landcruiser power antenna broken - anyone ever replaced one?

I've got an '00 Landcruiser with power antenna, that is actuated both via switch and by radio power-on. The plastic spline in the antenna has broken, so the antenna will not extend/retract via power. The motor is fine, but it appears that the plastic spline is missing about 4" of length. I've got a replacement unit and the manual gives the orientation of the spline, but I'd like a few expert opinions before I replace it. Has anyone done this operation? Any tips to offer? I also cannot tell if the broken piece of the spline is out of the drive mechanism, and I don't want to thread a new one into the drive unit, without knowing this. Nothing in the manual covers removal/extraction of any broken piece. I've run the unit to the full "UP" position, but cannot tell if any broken pieces have been pushed out.

Thoughts?

Hunt

Reply to
Hunt

Hunt,

I've done this before in my '97 4runner and I'm sure it's similar in your rig. IT'S EASY. You purchase a new mast and plastic spline. No need to purchase the motor. You do have to take the motor out of your fender well if you have the plastic part rotating inside the motor. If not, you can just take the nut off the antenna, run the new plastic spline down, the motor will catch it, and put the nut back on!

If the plastic spline is stuck inside the motor, read on---On mine, I removed a portion of the inside plastic fender well to get to it. You take the nut off the top, I believe there is a bolt or nut inside your fender and unclip the wire. Pull it out, use a phillips screwdriver to take the motor apart. Remove all the broken plastic spline. Put the motor back in, hook the wire up, bolt it to the vehicle. Run the new mast and spline down through the hole until the spline is in the motor hole. Run the down switch to suck the spline back inside. Not all the way, most of the way. Put the nut back on the antenna. Now it should work fine! The new mast and spline have instruction too, usually.

Hope that helps! Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

Cameron,

That is exactly the info I needed. I'm not sure if the original plastic spline is still in the motor, but suspect so, unless, after it broke, the motor disgourged it, when it ran the antenna up - not likely with my luck, however. I've tried to get some light down there, with the old antenna removed, but cannot tell if there is any debris that needs to be removed. Except for the inner fender panel and motor removal, I've done all that you recommend in the first steps. I'm probably safest to assume that there is debris, and just go in and have a look at the motor.

Thanks for the response and the info, Hunt

OP follows:

Reply to
Hunt