4runner timing belt replacement

I have a 1999 4runner SR5. When I replace the timing belt, should I replace the tensioners and guides at the same time? I thought this was normal to do on other makes, but with Toyota it seems I've heard it's not necessary.

Thanks

Reply to
james randall

Well, we don't do it unless its questionable or if the customer's asks us. When I say questionable, this is based on years of working on this stuff. You are on a 90K interval, they usually never fail before the second belt is due. But the water pump, I'd do. On rigs where the intervals are 60K, I'd do the water pump every other time I do a timing belt (120K) but this is for an original OE water pump only. I have seen those GMB aftermarket units fail before the belt was due. And rule of thumb, if your doing a timing belt on any interference engine, replace everything. This is all the Toyota V8's right now.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

And rule of

This goes for the new 3.3 liter V6.... it's a valve cruncher too

Reply to
Platil