4Runner Transmission trouble: V6 4x4

My '88 4Runner(V6, AT, 4x4, 130k mi.) has recently began giving my some transmission trouble. When it is cold and I shift into gear, the truck will jerk violently. As the engine warms, the effect lessens. Someone told me to change the trans. fluid and filter. I did that but to no results. I am wondering if anyone can give me any other ideas before I take it to transmission place to get my wallet emptied. A friend mentioned a modulator, but I can't find it on the truck or info in my Haynes manual. Also if anyone knows a good (trustworthy) Toyota mechanic in the Nashville, TN area, I would appreciate the lead. Thanks in advance for anyone nice enough to offer advice.

Reply to
Travis