4Runners - Best year?

I know this is probably subject to a lot of debate, but I'm in the market for a used one. I don't have a fixed price, but more looking for the best do-everything vehicle. I love my 86 PU, and I'll never sell it, but I'd like something else to drive, more suited to camping, and maybe nicer daily driver.

I'd been settling on 96-98 models, but I like the looks of the earlier ones better. I was looking for the V6 though, and was warned that the

3.0s had problems. Plus, the 3.4 is definitely a kick to drive.

I've always had sticks, but if I get an auto, am I going to regret it offroad? I've not driven a Toyota auto on major hills or trails.

Opinions welcome.

Reply to
Yost

If you are really going to wheel it, '85 EFI hands down. The solid axle and all around leaf springs are the key. If you are into show and tell the 4 gens are pretty and expensive and can probably handle a drive in the snow ;>) I never wheeled my '85 really hard, but it went a bunch of places and I only got stuck twice. Like an idiot it was the same place both times. I went through a ravine in 2 wheel drive and it was narrow and steep enough that coming out the other side the rear bumper drug in the bottom and got the back wheels off the ground...duh. Luckily, all I had to do was put it in 4 wheel drive and that got me enough traction to get out. Wish I had a camera of me engaging the hubs with them as high as my head LOL! A week later I went through the same place was going the other direction so once again I left it in 2 wheel drive with the same results. I did learn my lesson in the end. The best part about an '85 too is the availability of aftermarket mods and maintenance parts. You can practically build one from the ground up now out of a catalog.

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

I don't understand the knocks on the 3VZ-E. Mine has 295,000 miles on it and does not use a drop of oil between changes. All that has ever been done to it outside of timing belts, water pumps, etc. is a valve job at 180K. And that was probably my fault for not keeping the valves adjusted. I DID just change the front crankshaft seal and oil pump - the seal was leaking and there was nothing wrong with the pump but I swapped it out anyway while I was in there.

The 3.0L is not the most powerful motor in the world on the highway but I have never had a problem with torque when off-roading. The combination of this motor and the overall 'built like a tank' package of the '88 4Runner have kept me from letting this one go (my friends say I am emotionally attached to it.) I have had many offers to sell the truck and even looked at the third generation 4Runners once but -- once I climbed under them to see how they are put together (gel-filled motor mounts?? Please!) -- I knew they wouldn't live up to my '88 for my purposes. I have been to hell and back in this truck and it just seems to love the punishment. You can tell it was designed with off-roading in mind. As such, it's not the smoothest on the highway.

You HAVE to take a look at this one that I noticed the other day to see what I am talking about:

Watch what this sucker eventually sells for and you will see what I am talking about when I say that people "in the know" understand what a special vehicle this model is.

NOTE: With regard to this particular vehicle, the exterior looks fantastic and backs up the mileage of 124K - however, the interior looks a little bit worn for that mileage. But, what I notice is mostly stains and maybe the people were slobs. Incidentally, 124K is nothing on one of these vehicles, particularly if it is highway miles.

I am not an expert on off-roading or trucks or motors. I can only tell you is that mine still runs like new and I have several folks who have told me to let them know when I decide to sell it. As I have said on this forum before, there is a slight tapping sound from beneath the head covers and there always has been. It has not gotten any better nor any worse. Other owners of this motor have said the same thing.

As for the tranny, mine is automatic and it hasn't caused problems while off-roading. Again, I am not expert on 4-wheeling but I've played around a lot and once had to have a backhoe pull me out of some gumbo in Louisiana. A manual transmission wouldn't have helped that situation at all.

Good luck in your hunt. Obviously, my advice is: if you find a cream-puff '88 SR5 V6, give it some thought. Especially if the owner doesn't know what he has and you can get it cheap.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Yost wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

1st or 2nd gens are great offroad. I have wheeled my 91 (2nd gen) a couple times now, so I'm not by any means an expert, but that little sonofabitch just grumbled through pretty much anything. As has been mentioned, a 1st gen with a solid axle is the holy grail, but I'm happy for now.

For highway travel there's a reason the 3.0 is called a "3.slow" but I'm using it as my daily driver with no complaint.

I've also read -- and can vouch for -- the fact that using an auto on a trail is good because it's one less thing you have to deal with when reading a spotter's signals or going for a line on an obstacle. I do have to say that I would have had a worse time of it in a manual tranny

-- you're going about 2 or 3 MPH and even in low range, it's still nice not to have to deal with the clutch.

Reply to
rich

Of course the latest model is the best after all those years of improvement! The '03-04 w/V8 has lots of torque (5 spd auto) and decent gas mileage or '03-04 4L all aluminiumV6 w/ 245 HP (4 spd auto) still managers 17-22 MPG! They also have down hill assist and 17" tires. What's important to you - 2 vs 4 doors, acceleration or towing (5k lbs), comfort or cost, ride, seating capacity (new ones have 3rd row seating as option)?

Reply to
Wolfgang