93 V6 Check Engine Light-Code 25

This morning My check engine light came on. It is a 1993 4x4 v6 ex cab with

105, 280 miles. I checked the code, it is code 25. I see that it can be a few different things...O2 sensor being one of them. What else can it be, and how should I proceed, obviously trying not to spend too much money. Thanx,
Reply to
Matt

02 sensors have a lifetime of 75k-120k miles. If you know it hasn't been replaced since new, that would be your best first check. Fortunately, it is easily accessed underneath the cab, and this is a great time to ask yourself if you've noticed any extra noise that would indicate exhaust leaks, as an exhaust leak before the 02 sensor can also cause it to not function correctly (not receiving the full amount of exhaust expected).

lycka till! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

Is there great harm in not replacing the sensor immediately? I see they are around $130 and I don't have extra cash for two weeks or so... thanx

Reply to
Matt

Failing O2 sensor will degrade fuel economy and performance, and increase pollution. But they tend fail quite gradually. Some people go so far as to just cover the CE light with a piece of tape and ignore it, accepting the lack of performance and economy rather than do the repair.

If you're able to get to it, and you're doing other diagnostics, you can try "cleaning" the 02 sensor with a MAPP torch - basically, just burning off the collected sludge and oxidation.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

Weird.... So yesterday the light is on all day, highway speeds, slow speeds, rain and dry. Today, light is on half way to work then goes off? what gives? loose wire maybe? Also... Has anyone tried the o2 sensors from JC whitney? they seem very cheap? Thanx

Reply to
Matt

Matt, before you do anything pull the connector appart at the O2 sensor and clean it with contact cleaner, apply a bit of dielectric grease to the pins and re-connect. Re-set the check engine light by pulling the ECU fuse at the check connector or by disconnecting the neg. battery terminal. I had to do mine every 30k or so untill it finally gave up at 157k. When you do replace it, use the OEM one, aftermarket sensors for your engine are difficult to find

Gary W.

Reply to
Gary W