96 4Runner Shocks Monroe Sensatrac?

Hello,

I am in need of new shocks on my 4runner, It has 138,000 miles on it, and the ride has been very rough. I do not do and off roading, and am looking for shocks that will give me a nice, comfortable ride, without compromising handling. The people at NTB told me to use Monroe Sensatrac shocks. I have read a lot about Bilstein and other brands, and was wondering if anyone can suggest something for me. How are the Sensatracs? I will be doing "on road" driving only.

Also...there is a lot of talk about stiff and soft shocks. I am a little confused as to what constitutes a stiff or soft shock.

Thanks for all your help.

- MT

Reply to
M T

I don't know about the Monroes, but the Bilsteins on my 96 4Runner *are* a bit of a stiff ride, which I like. I'm primarily on-road driving as well, but it is rural here so there are lots of rough roads and dirt roads. When pavement changes I'm glad to have the Bilsteins vs factory shocks. There's pretty much no sway, and the bumps feel hard, no bouncing for ages after hitting them. We have one road that is positively horrid for any car, like driving on an old wooden bridge, ba-bump... ba-bump... nonstop for miles. Anyway, that road in my truck now versus stock shocks is much easier to tolerate (kids enjoy how it makes their voice waver) and I prefer it to the sea-sickening bounce of our car's shocks (which aren't real soft, just average.) Finding a bump or dip unexpectedly at speed doesn't make me jump as bad or give me the urge to correct because I hit it and it's over with. They make my 4Runner ride like you expect a truck to ride, so if you want something cushy... say, like how an Explorer's ride feels, (and I've test driven them recently so no flames *BG*) don't get the Bilsteins, go for something else. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

I've tried both - feel like Goldilocks. The Monroe's were too soft (better than OEM) and the Bilsteins too stiff. If I were to try again I'd get the adjustable Rancho 9000s -- or the Rancho 5000s.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for the replies. What makes a shock too stiff or too soft? From what I heard Bilsteins are good for performance and handling, but do not guarantee a better ride.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

- MT

Reply to
M T

Too stiff you feel all joints in concrete pavement but have great sway/lean control at higher speeds and no nose dive when braking. Too soft and car has a Buick (ok old Buick) ride --- masks little bumps but wallows and leans when pressed. Perhaps thats the snake oil in the Monroe's name -- Sensatrac - where it reacts fast to those conditions. (Ones I had were called Gas-a-Matic.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Shock absorbers don't absorb shocks. Strange but true.

Shock absorbers are rebound dampers. Without shocks, the vehicle would bounce like a pogo stick. The question is how much damping is needed. Too much damping and the suspension hardly deflects when going over a bump...the whole vehicle jolts over the bump. Too little damping and the suspension does some bouncing over a bump in the road. Ideal damping would be for the suspension to deflect one time for one bump in the road, whether it's an inch tall bump or a six inch deep pothole.

Bilsteins are great, kinda stiff, really give control on rough surfaces. Monroe Sensa-Tracs are smooth for good roads, not quite enough damping for rough stuff.

Also, the next time you need tires, look at the range of reports on "Ride Comfort" on TireRack's customer survey ratings, and buy tires that match your criteria

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Thanks to all for their feedback.

So, you are saying that with stiff shocks, the ride will not be be comfortable on the bumps, but, the truck will not bounce endlessly?

How would Bilsteins fare on city streets and highways?

It seems like Houston's streets are beginning to be very similar to New York's, in that potholes are plentiful.

The problem is that since I need new shocks, I might as well spend the extra money to get something that will give me a better ride.

- MT

Reply to
M T

Well, you will feel the bumps, probably a little jarring with bigger bumps, but after you hit it, it is definitely done with the bounce. I find that much more comfortable than the 'waterbed effect' of softer shocks. I like to think of it as jumping off the roof onto a thick safety mat instead of a trampoline, with the mat you're down and stay put, with the trampoline you don't know where you'll bounce next. ;)

I like mine. I carry three kids (ages almost 2, 5, and 5) and none of them complain about the ride being rough or too bumpy, they'll fall asleep and stay asleep even on rough road. I don't slow down to a crawl for railroad tracks which I'm familiar with since the rebound is quick. We've got a lot of rough farm roads out here due to the agricultural activities and there's always something in the road to run over (mud, tomatoes, potholes, tomatoes, cotton, tomatoes... you get the picture) so I am either swerving or splatting the things. The handling is good with these Bilsteins. When hubby's driving, I'll even get out my little cigar tin and do beadwork while riding along, no worries that there will be zillions of tiny beads everywhere after a bump like in his car.

Check prices at

for the Bilsteins. We got agreat deal on ours through one of their sales and their customer servicefolks were really informative and helpful. They've gone up in price a little(ours were $325 all four shipped, March 2001.) And Bilsteins are warrantedfor life IIRC, at least the aftermarket ones anyway. We plan on puttingBilsteins on the car when it is due.

Reply to
Pookerz

Thanks everyone for your replies. It looks like the Bilsteins are the way to go!!!

-MT

Reply to
M T

Hello Everyone.

One last thing. I went to my mechanic to see how much he will charge to install the aftermarket Bilsteins, and he claims that OEM shocks are better because they are specifically designed for my 4Runner, and have the correct fittings. He claims that the aftermarket shocks will have as good of a fit, and he really suggested I install OEM's. Is he full of BS? I can't see why he would say that if he really thought the OEMs were better. Of course, the OEMs are cheaper, he is right, is it worth it to go with them?

What do ya'll think about that. He is not a dealership mechanic.

Thanks,

MT

Reply to
M T

My husband is a car addict and a DIY mechanic and he had no trouble at all installing the aftermarket Bilsteins on our 96 4Runner. They fit just fine. I think he might have had *some* trouble getting the factory ones off, and actually had to break one to get it off, but the Bilstein shocks went right on after that. I am pretty sure that was also the first time he had ever put shocks or struts on a vehicle. It's about 4 years later now and nothing has fallen off or gone wonky so I'll assume he did it right. *grin*

BTW Does your mechanic expect you to buy the OEM parts through him? Maybe he feels threatened by Bilsteins' lifetime warranty and wants to ensure you'll be back in a few years for the same repair For what it's worth, if Toyota puts Bilsteins on their TRD 4Runners and Tacomas (I know some use a different one,) then the aftermarket ones should be 'specifically designed' for your year and model as well. It wouldn't make sense for Bilstein to market the 'special' ones just to Toyota and give everyone else a generic fit.

-- Dee

Note: please remove all pre-flight tags before replying via email.

Reply to
Pookerz