96 4runner shocks

after 7.5 years, my oem rear shock on my 96' 4runner with 50k miles let go and was dripping oil. what a royal pain in the whazoo to get them off. because they use the threaded rod tops and get mounted to a very out-of-reach place, it is impossible to get the nuts off. sawzall with long blade to hack off the rod from the bottom side, cutting through the rubber gromet and through the rod works, but definitely is tight quarters.... oh yeah, you need to take the tires off the rear to make working on them a bit easier...

replaced with a set of monroe sensa-trac. they go back in real easy, just a bit tricky locking down the top nut with a 14mm deep dish socket and ratchet. easier to tighten most of the way by holding ratchet steady while turning shock body, then ratchet to lock it down...

since i installed rear bilsteins on my 2002 tacoma today in about 20 minutes, 4runner was a bear in comparison....

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Hehehe... we rented a lift for $10/hour and managed to swap all four of our OEM shocks out. Took one hour of lift fees, though I forget if it was just under an hour or just over. Had a single pal helping us and he charged us a homecooked meal *grin*. Well worth it for the extra set of hands, lift, and piece of mind knowing they were done right instead of by some potentially incompetent shop. How do you like the Monroe's so far? We put on Bilsteins and in comparison to the worn but functioning OEM's I like how stiff they ride. Incidentally, I think we changed ours at about 50K also. I'd have to check my truck's journal. Dee

96 4Runner 2.7 l, 4cyl, 5spd
Reply to
Pookerz

i had the rear springs changed out per recall. springs are stiffer. monroe shocks are ok, better than oem...

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Yeah, I think we had the recall work done a few months after we put our shocks on, never bothered with any of the springs because as far as we were concerned back then, they 'don't wear out with normal use' (hah!) We've learned a lot since then, of course, mostly from reading posts and some personal experience. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz