Fuel pump relay

Hey guys, I need to know where the fuel pump relay is on a 1979 Toyota pickup with a 20R engine. Can anybody help?

Thanks

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

I don't think there is one, its a mechanical fuel pump operated off the cam shaft, opposite the distributor. Only real electrical part is the fuel cutoff solenoid which shuts off the gas when you turn off the engine.

Reply to
Roger Brown

I have a 77 with 20R. The factory manual doesn't show the location. It is definitely an electric fuel pump. I can hear it buzzing away just before I start the motor. (key in run position)The wiring diagrams don't show the pump or the relay. Themotor manual does have a diagram of the fuel pump circuit. I'm not an electrical wizard, so bear with me here. ignition start has a direct connection to the relay. ignition run connects to the relay via a fusible resistor one wire out of relay to fuel pump oil pressure switch has 1 wire that splits, 1 to oil pressure warning light, the other to the fuel pump relay, and out to the fuse that controls the oil pressure warning light. fuel pump runs while starter is turning, or when oil pressure is present. (Hmmm- don't know why mine runs with key in run position but motor not running, but original owner may have changed something) pic of the relay shows a normal looking relay (just a small box) with all wires coming out together to a 5 pin connector. manual also states not to operate the pump without the resistor in place also mentions checking resistor for continuity- 1.4 ohms for reference only Not having seen it I can't say for sure, but I would start looking behind the dashboard in the gauge area.

Hope this helps.

Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

Reply to
max-income

If it slike the later fuel-injected trucks, then there still is no fuel pump (only) relay. Its called the "circuit opening relay" and is located in the passenger side kick panel area:

Roger Brown

Thanks guys. I'll look tomorrow.

Reply to
RJ in WV