help pulling third member

Hi

Doing a third member swap on my rear solid axle. undid the brakes and disconnected the axles.

Is there an easy way to pull out the third member once you remove all

10 bolts on the case? Mine won't budge. What in the hell is holding it back?

One of the nuts came off without the bolt (all the rest came out - the bolts have welded nuts on one end). However, looks like the unit should just slide straight out.

Any ideas? Is there a trick or technique I should use?

Thanks

Reply to
Sandy

The gasket. It's stuck to the axle housing and the pumpkin. When it finally comes loose, be sure your body isn't _under_ it!

Leave some of the fasteners loosely in place until you break it free, or it may pop out suddenly and embed itself in your driveway - or your chest. You may have to break the seal using a sharp, thin chisel like tool as a wedge and a hammer to drive it in. Be careful not to gouge the sealing surface. Once you break it loose, the rest is easy.

Does the axle have a drain plug? If so, I assume you already drained the

90W. If not, be sure you have a pan under the axle when you pop the pumpkin loose or you'll have a hell of a mess to clean up.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

drain plug-oil has already been drained (that would be pretty funny if it wasn't), and I've got the floor jack underneath the pumpkin. I'll try the chisel idea.

Reply to
Sandy

I assume you have the axle shafts out far enough to clear the sides of the diff carrier? I think at least 2" out on each side should do it, or remove the axle all he way to be sure.

Reply to
Roger Brown

diff carrier? I think at least 2" out on each side

Yeah, axles are out about a foot. By the way, some dirt fell onto my axle and bearing when separating the wheel from the axle flange - what is a good solvent to use to clean this?

Reply to
Sandy

Cleaning solvent, kerosene or paint thinner will do. Even rubbing alcohol is OK. It's probably a sealed bearing anyway, so it wouldn't be too critical.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

Thanks for the help, guys.

The pumpkin was somewhat stuborn, but I got it off.

New problem: Put the new 3rd member in and now leaking gear oil very slowly at the bottom of the case seal- 1 or 2 drops per day - seems to be coming from one of the studs

I used a silicone gasket maker and let it sit a day before I put oil in. Do I have to remove everything again and try to make another gasket?

I scraped off the old residual gasket with a razor blade before I used the silicone. Should I get a paper gasket and silicone?

Anyway to avoid pulling axles etc again?? Argh!

Reply to
Sandy

You _only_ used silicone? No gasket at all? If so, that's likely your problem. Silicone is meant to be used as an _adjunct_ to the gasket; not a substitute for it.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S