I'm looking for wench

I'm looking around for a good tow wench to put the front end of my SR5 4x4 Pickup. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. (Make, Price, Reliance)

Thank you, Chris

Reply to
Chris

I saw the subject line and the first thought that popped into my little bone head was "Oh, Natalie! It's for you..." But I have more class than that, so...

Did I type that out loud? Ooooops. :-P

Chris, you want a winch. Warn and Ramsey are the big manufacturers, and they make several different units for varying loads and duty cycles. You pick the size that is at least your vehicle weight, if not more to account for the suction forces of mud. An 8,000 pound winch pull rating covers most small and medium pickup trucks.

Most people use the planetary geared 12V electric units because they are the most compact and easiest to hook up to the vehicle. There's also the old Warn worm-gear and spur gear units, but they're huge. You can get mounting kits that bolt a grille guard over the stock bumper, and ones with a custom front bumper with the winch partially or totally hidden inside.

You can run an electric winch off the starting battery you have now, but it works much better if you install a second deep-cycle battery and a charging isolator. You can pull for much longer with the engine off before the winch battery runs down, then you still have a full charge in the starting battery. So after you've winched yourself out of the stream and dried out the ignition system you can crank it over.

They make winches that are hydraulic powered which are used on farm and industrial equipment that already has a hydraulic PTO system, and if you want you could modify your truck to use one - they make hydraulic pumps with a pulley and electric clutch if you have a place to hang it on the front of your engine. Then you have to find a spot for a 1 or 2 gallon hydraulic fluid reservoir, and stick another fluid cooler in front of the radiator...

Toyota has some factory mechanical winches that use a driveshaft to run the winch from a Power Takeoff box on the transmission. Though these are usually ordered as factory installed options for the extremely rugged conditions found in third world countries.

The PTO or hydraulic winches have a 100% duty cycle since they are direct engine driven, and they can have much higher load limits. You can sit there pulling people out of the ditch all day, and the only limit is your fuel supply - but if you are the one who is stuck and you've drowned your engine so it won't start, you also have no winch. With an electric, you are good till the battery runs down.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

That's WINCH you moron.

My suggestion is to learn to spell.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Nice, really nice. Helpful too. Did that make you feel a whole lot better hotshot?

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

lets chill. We know what the guy is looking for ...

To the OP:

Just ordered a warn XD9000 ... dont go below 8000 lbs and Warn is the best. Cant use a hydraulic winch as your pump is too small unless you upgrade that....

will have some experience in spring

Matt

No. I feel the same. Why?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I will suggest that the capacity of the winch one buys should be at a minimum DOUBLE the weight of the vehicle it is attached to. If this comes out to a capacity that isn't available, round UP to the next available capacity.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

A hydraulic winch has some serious overhaed in tha tit won't work unless the engine is able to be running. If the vehicle is on its side or under water, a hydraulic winch is no good at all. The ADVANTAGE of the hydraulic winch is that it has a very long duty cycle, and can winch a vehicle up the side of a ravine. Electric winches have a duty cycle that is only about 10 or 15 minutes, then they need a rest to cool down. But the electric models can work even when the vehicle's engine can't be run.

Most winching only takes a couple of minutes, so most of us in the west -- deserts of Southern California and Arizona -- use electric models.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks, I like that answer better. Sometimes I have questions about my Toyota, and I don't want to be called a MORON for asking, or for a typo.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Thanks, thats a lot more helpful for the OP !

Thank you very much for all your suggestions!

It's been really helpful. As for "Natalie"

Is she cute?

Bruce, "You Da-Man"! (LoL)

Thank you, Chris

Reply to
Chris

You can not use the power steering pump for a hydraulic winch.

Well, theoretically you could - if you removed the stock power steering pump and replaced it with a commercial two-stage hydraulic pump in the same space, and added some sort of regulation for the power steering pressure which needs to be lower than the max output of that high powered pump, and you still need a large remote fluid reservoir and a cooler...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

MileMarker does precisely that, use the power steering pump to run the winch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Toyotas power steering pump will not power a winch . That is why in a toyota you cant. UNLESS you install a different pump.

In a Jeep it works fine with stock pump

Matt

L schrieb:

...and we all know why :->

Reply to
Axel Hammer

I wish I was a little earlier for this thread. When I bought my Toy 21 years ago I told my friends I was going to mount an 8,000 pound winch to the front of my truck. The reply came back, "why don't you get a small Christian girl instead." ;)

Reply to
Brad Taylor

a. have seen it (work) in YJ's

b. Milemarker distributor said it will NOT wotk with stock Toyota

I threw that in as a total joke just to see if she was paying attention, and it seems as if you're the only one who noticed...

Yes, she's cute, and she's got the goods to fill out a Renaissance era Bodice very nicely. She's also rather married. And since I don't want to get her angry with me we'll leave it right there. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

FOR THE RECORD I was teasing her too, just to see who was still awake. I know she's married, and I'm married as well.

Her man is doing important stuff for our country, and flirting with the women still at home holding down the fort might be considered in poor taste. Sorry for the poor taste.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Getting past the previous nastiness, you need a winch that is at least double the weight of your truck, rounded up to the next available winch capacity. Let's say that your truck, plus the camping gear, plus the winch itself, weigh in at 4100 pounds, you would want a winch with a 9000 pound capacity because that is the next higher after you double your weight. If there was a winch that had an 8500 pound capacity, then it would fit your requirement, but the 8000 pound models would be too small.

If you have a 4100 pound vehicle that is stuck, it's reasonable that it would take double that to get it unstuck. You should also carry a tow strap that you can use to connect two or more vehicles together to make an anchor for your vehicle in case there are no trees near by that are strong enough. And, you should NEVER go offroading alone because you can easily need another vehicle to tie off to. There is a strong argument that says if you are stuck, then you need to tie off on at least two other vehicles because the winch can only pull two objects closer together, and the lightest of those objects will be the first to move. If there are two trucks that weigh the same, the unstuck vehicle will be drawn towards the stuck one, especially if it's uphill from the stuck truck. It is common that two trucks need to be tied together to get the third truck unstuck.

If you are able to tie off on a tree, then you'll need to use the tow strap as a tree saver. You never want to attach the cable itself directly to a tree because the cable will cut into the bark and harm the tree. The tow strap can be wrapped around the tree, then your block attached to the strap.

You should also buy all of the available accessories -- blocks and pullies, etc. -- that you can get for your winch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland