I'm looking at a new Diesel VW

I was in the trucking business for many years so most of my experience with Diesel motors has been in large trucks. I sold my trucking business in 1989 and got a stay at home job. I will be retiring next March and I want to buy a VW Beetle with the turbo-charged Diesel to see a few of the many friends I made while OTR. I am just curious about how the VW Diesels do in cold climates. For a well maintained Diesel Beetle what is the lowest temperature that they will consistently start without using the block heater? Do they have glow plugs? Are fuel heaters a factory option? I plan on a lot of mountain driving in the Rockies; does the VW Turbo-charged Diesel handle steep hills at higher elevations OK? I don't mind sacrificing a little bit of power for fantastic fuel mileage but I don't want kids on bicycles passing me either. If you own or have owned one of these what have your experiences been?

Dennis

Reply to
TwoGuns

The coldest I have had mine was -20º F. No problems starting at all.

Yes, they are automatic you never notice them.

Are fuel heaters a factory option?

No. They are standard equipment.

I have not had much experience, but I have always had plenty of power on the grades I have driven.

Lance will not have a chance of passing you. I have never had a problem staying up with any speed limit.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You many want to check out

as well.

Reply to
David Magda

TDI Jetta here. Torque is great for steep hills, TDI surpasses gas engines there (ok, for regular driver at least). I find high speed acceleration a bit lacking since power drops faster at higher revs. Only a minor problem if you have to pass quickly on smaller roads.

Starting and running fine at -30C. Check out the cold climate regional forums on tdiclub.com.

Reply to
Hans

Thanks for the info guys. The new Beetle is looking better all the time. I had a (1989?) Diesel Rabbit I drove for several years here in Eastern Nebraska. As long as I kept clean fuel filters and used a mix of #1 & #2 Diesel when it got below zero F it was reliable. No Turbo on it though and it was definitely not what you wanted in Mountain country. Of course Eastern Nebraska isn't exactly Mountain country. I keep up a bit with the new technology in the large trucks and some of the improvements in fuel efficiency, power etc since 1989, when I got off the road, are unreal. My old 450 HP 3408 Kitty Cat motor would be underpowered by todays standards. LOL.

Dennis

Reply to
TwoGuns

that's what the turbo is here for. you cant match a turbo and non-turbo in high altitude!

Reply to
Juka