New owner of a 93 ex-cab

I just bought a 93 ex-cab 4x4. I have had and 83 and an 85 but this is my first toyota with IFS and EFI and I am not sure if there is anything i need to look out for on this vehicle. It runs great, Strong, good tranny, 4 wheel drive is solid. I am not worried about the truck, but i am just wondering if there are any "parts to watch" on this make/ model? Thanx,

Reply to
Matt

Is it 4 cyl or a V6?

Reply to
1992 Toyota Xcab

Depending on your mileage and whether or not they have been changed already, the head gaskets were know to go bad on these engines. I have one myself with 199k on it, runs like a champ. I did however change the waterpump, timing belt, No.2 and No.1 Idler bearings in the past 30k.

Tony

Reply to
1992 Toyota Xcab

I should have said, it has 104082 miles on it. I think it has not been tampered with. It has a clean title-one owner. I need to do work on the E brake, it doesn't hold, but the guy said it has a bad front cable.I expect problems with the timing belt and water pump, those parts wont last forever. Thanx for the speedy reply.

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
JMach

There are a very few out there, and you will love this truck. Mine was a 90 sr5 xcab 4x4 w/92000, light blue w/ matching shell. Looked new, full maintenance records. Few months back, the ms borrowed it and got t-boned. Flipped on the right side and insurance totaled it. Insurance settled with me for $8700. You should have comprehensive on this vehicle. Your price, condition may vary.

Reply to
dirty rat 753

Excellent idea, I have not done that to mine yet. Now where to buy one at?

Tony

Reply to
1992 Toyota Xcab

Reply to
JMach

Matt, don't waste your time or rely on the E brake, it's feeble at best and won't hold on anything but a level surface.

Gary W.

Reply to
Gjlwilliams

I am only worried because it wont pass the next inspection. Is replacing the Ebrake cable hard? I will probably need to install a new forward and middle cable. although I am hoping to do just the middle one. thanx,

Reply to
Matt

I have a '94 PU and the emergency brake works fine even on a hill. If it's adjusted right, it could save you from an accident.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman

Don't listen to Gary, The e-brake works great on my 92 pickup. Replacing the cable should not be that hard.

Tony

Reply to
1992 Toyota Xcab

I've never heard of a vehicle not passing inspection for having an E-brake that was weak, at least not in PA. If the cable is broken or missing the tech would probably pick it up though. No amount of adjustment by the dealer or myself was sufficiant to make me trust the e-brake on my '90 4X4 extra-cab. There is just too much stretch in the cables (at least on that model) to provide a solid pull at the brake lever. A look underneath at the way the two rear brake bellcranks are operated with a crossover cable that is pulled on by an intermediate one shows that quite a bit of pull is required to operate the bellcranks, add some cable stretch and poor mechanical advatage to the mix and there is not enough travel at the operating lever in the cab to properly set the brake even when properly adjusted. Might be unique to that year and model but I still would not trust it.

Gary W.

Reply to
Gjlwilliams