O-Rings and Bushings for Injectors

I recently replaced the o-rings on my injectors ('88 3VZ-E). It was a kit for each one that contained -- from what I could tell -- three pieces of interest to me. There was the little o-ring that seats the top of the injector in the fuel delivery pipe, the big o-ring that goes between the grommet that the injector sits in and the intake manifold, and -- finally - the bushing that the injector sits on down inside the grommet.

The two o-rings seem to be working fine. However, I was concerned when replacing the busing down inside the grommet (the old ones are brittle and crack when pulled out) because the new ones were just a hair shorter than the old ones, maybe by 1 mm at the most. This means that the injectors are going to sit just a bit lower in the intake manifold. I wasn't too concerned however, because it seems the fuel delivery pipes should simply drop down to accomodate the difference.

Well, I had to go back into the motor this weekend because I lost a head gasket and, sure enough, the #1 and #2 injectors were wet with gas when I first peaked at them under the intake chamber. The others were probably wet too, but these were the two I noticed.

Gas is not spewing out or anything. Just enough to smell (with a very sensitive nose in a closed garage) when I shut down the motor at night or if I let the fuel pump run for a bit without starting the motor such as during recent diagnostics (then the odor is more noticeable).

I am wondering now if I should have messed with replacing the bushings that go down inside the grommets. Something was in the kit that looked like them and was the correct size (bore and OD) - so, I went for it.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this blunder? Does Toyota sell these kits and/or the bushings? I bought mine from NAPA and they were definitely generic kits because there were several parts left in each one that I had no idea what to do with.

Thanks,

Luther

Reply to
Luther