Reverse Lights don't work

I have a 93 4Runner 5-speed. I just noticed that my reverse lights don't work. So I unscrewed the light assembly in the tailgate. Both bulbs are fine. The license plate lights work. There does not seem to be any power getting to the connector.

The first thing I checked is the fuse box under the hood. Is there another fuse box located inside the cab? Someone mentioned the reverse switch in my shifter. If that is the case, what is the best way to repair it?

TIA

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Check the switch in the transmission. On the 5-speed, its usually near the oil fill hole on the driver's side. Make sure the wire is connected and then check if the switch is making contact in reverse, if not, replace it.

Reply to
Roger Brown

the oil fill hole on the driver's side. Make sure the wire is connected and then check if the switch is making contact in reverse, if not, replace it.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

JW, seen this twice. It was a bad back up switch. You dont have those 50 watt halogen back up bulbs, do you?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I found those are a good way to fry a non-relayed backup light switch for sure:

Roger Brown

Yes, you'd want to add a Bosch type relay if you do that. I suspect Rogers link will give you all the info you need to do it. ;D

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Nope, just whatever was stock with the tailgate light. I can't remember the number off the top of my head. I do know the license plate light is a 168 bulb.

I took a look from underneath. Could not find the switch, do I have access it from inside the cab?

TIA

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

MTM, its on the side of the transmission case.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Took another look underneath. Could not make out the Speedo cable, but there was a sensor looking part that had a two wire connector. Is that the switch? I was about to pull it off, but I thought I'd check first.

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Sounds like it. It will be a 2 wire connector. Try jumping the connectors and see if the back up lights come on, key on of course.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Yup, that was it. I also checked the continuity on the switch, no dice. Jumped the connector wire, with the key in and in Reverse. Lit up like a X-mas tree. I was able to pick up the part from the dealer, $30. They were just about to close early since it was X-mas Eve.

Thanks again, and have a Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year!

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind