best truck cap/shell maker?

I am wondering which maker of shells/caps is the best. I have access to Jeraco, Leer, and Trav-a-lite. The last one is the cheapest. But in doing a little research I found that the dept of transportation has fined Jeraco and Travalite, but I can't determine why.

Reply to
Wump

Looks nice but I'm trying to avoid fiberglass. It off-gasses... and I pity the people who make those things, the chemicals are really nasty.

Reply to
Wump

"Wump" sez:

Well, about the only thing left is Gemtop ... but they're kinda fugly.

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

AGreed. Snugtop is top notch!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Buy one already made. This should make you feel better.

If you buy aluminum, all those folks at the aluminum smelter will have to breath off gasses and all the displaced earthworms whos home were destroyed digging for aluminum! Actually, the only off gassing is...

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Do they off gass?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

If it's a Fiberglass shell, the shell will off-gas a little until the poleyester resins and the paint finishes curing, a month or two at the outside. Just leave the shell's windows cracked open for ventilation, and don't camp in the back for the first couple months, and there should be no health hazard to worry about.

Unless you have multiple sensitivity disease of course, in which case you're going to have to build a Ted Shack (I'm not even going to guess at the spelling of his last name - the Unabomber guy) in rural Nebraska and live an ascetic lifestyle - EVERYTHING we make or use in our modern society outgasses something, at least for a while... But GemTop's big thing is welded steel and aluminum framed and skinned shells, no outgassing except for the paint. A lot stronger, a little more secure, and a lot more expensive.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks, FYI here are the prices I'm getting:

$700 for the tallest sloped Leer $700 for the tallest sloped Jeraco $500 for the tallest sloped Travalite

These range from 29 to 31 inches, I forget details.

Reply to
Wump