Sequoia Traction Control...

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced what I have on my 2002 Sequoia...

Whenever I lose traction, and the traction control kicks in, the sound that the traction control makes is alarming. It sounds like a scraping sound.

I have taken it into Toyota and even took a drive along with the Service manager and was able to reproduce the sound in his presence. He assured me that the sound is normal, and explained that the sound is coming from the ABS unit which also controls the Traction control. He had me slam on the brakes going approx 40mph, and indeed I did hear a similar sound.

I am Ok with this if this is indeed the sound it is supposed to make, I guess I am just not totally trusting the Tech, although I don't know what his motive would be for being dishonest.

It would put my mind at ease if other people are hearing the same kind of sound. Please let me know...

kb

Reply to
Mudman

When my traction control ('03 Sequoia) kicks in, I hear nothing. The speed drops down and the cruise control is disengaged but there is absolutely no sound. It was very scary the first time this happened on the Interstate as I apparently hit black ice and the speed dropped down from 65 to 40 just like that. I thought the engine died.

Other times I'll try accelerating into a turn on a city street and hit something slick that causes the traction control to kick in. Again, no noise just a loss of power. I also notice the light on the dash at the same time it kicks in.

Perhaps others can tell their experiences?

--Felix

Reply to
Felix

I am a Toyota tech and maybe if I describe what is going on when traction control kicks in it might help. The traction control uses the ABS system to stablize the vehicle and keep it in control by appling and releasing the brakes on the wheels that are losing traction. This is done electronically and mechanically. The sounds you are hearing are the solenoids appling and releasing pressure to each individual wheel. They do this at several times a second which is why it sounds like it does. Just imagine the sound you would get from hitting the brake pedal several times a second. It sounds bad at times, but you will be glad you have it if you never really need it. It is one of the best systems out there.

Reply to
mdouglas

How does this differ from other systems available? I have friends that have other vehicles with AWD, and when the all wheel drive kicks in, it is silent. With the Sequoia it is such an alarming sound that I only want to make sure that it is normal prior to my warrantee expiring. If it is different, and better, than anything else out there I want to know this. I love this vehicle and this is the only thing in 2 years that makes me wonder...

Thanks for your info.

Reply to
Mudman