TIRES?!? I'm having a battle to decide

Hi,

I have a 2003 Taco xtra cab 4x4 V6 I do about 30,000 kms of driving a year and i do about 75% highway miles and 25% off-road (usually when i'm off-road, i'm in the deep woods showing all the american trucks how much better a Toyota is)

Anyways with that said I currently have BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A tires on the truck want something better, i'd like to stay all season, but i live in a harsh winter environment so i need something with good winter traction, thought about going to a BFG All-terrain T/A but the master mechanic at my office advised me against those particular tires, saying it would be too much tire for my application in that it would destroy CV joints and stuff.

I need help on which Tires I could go with.

Thanks a bunch!!

Happy Trails

Reply to
Biohazard

I had a set of BFG All-terrain T/As on my '94 4Runner for over 60,000 miles, and now have Michelin LTX, 31 x 10.50. I liked the BFGs, but did very little off-road. They were a little noisier than the Mics.

I have 170,000 miles now, and have not had any CV joint issues. What tire does your mechanic recommend?

Good luck.

Bill Chesapeake, VA

Reply to
bill

I think the "master mechanic" is neither master nor mechanic.

I think the BFG All-Terrain T/A is second best for your uses...Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo would top my list. Both are quite good in snow.

Ken

Biohazard wrote:

Reply to
Ken Shelton

toyo open country a/t tires are good performers in the city and in wet conditions.right now i have the 235/75/15 108s talk about rolling

Reply to
bja

Try the COOPER STT's, cant beat em, even better than the BFGs albiet slightly more aggressive. I wouldnt go near anything else given the choice.

Reply to
Scotty

I got BFG AT's on my 4cyl 2003 XtraCab. 31in (LT265)

I can't see you having mechanical issues with a model tire. The AT's are almost the same tire as the Long Trails just with extra tread. I am assuming your sticking with the same size.

I find those tires bad in winter because they are so wide and my Taco is a light truck, I slide all over the place. And in deep snow, the 4cyl has a hard time turning those tires in 4x4. I remove those tires and alloys in the winter and put on the stock steelies and 225 tires.

But off roading, they are awesome. I also do abit of highway driving...again, no issues, maybe a little noise. And no hydroplaning issues at all on the roads.

Reply to
Brad P

in article Y%bce.10193$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com, Biohazard at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 4/28/05 1:50 PM:

What!? Only rational for that argument would be if you got ones that were "oversize" for your rig, lifted it, etc. The extra sidewall ply is hardly gonna wreck your CV joints! Unless Tacomas truly suck, and I don't think they do (don't own one)!

BFG AT's are excellent tires. Their only failing is deep, gooey mud. They do GREAT on snow; one yer at elk camp they rocked on my Jeep, and last year the MT/R's on the same Jeep sucked ass on the snow and ice. I intend to put a set on my '95 Land Cruiser this summer. They have the little "snowflake" on the sidewall, so they actually count as a traction device in those "traction device required" scenarios!

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

Rid mine of the OEM Goodyear RT/S (265s) after about 50k and went to BFG AT's.(31x10.5s) about 6 mos ago.

Slight increase in road noise, but other than that great traction and handling. I'd buy'em again.\

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

season, but i

BS. it will not destroy CV's ... the AT's are a nice all around tire but hardly an offroad tire ... better than a street tire though.

Matt

I have Nokian WR tires on my 2002 double cab. Amazing in snow & rain. I don't do much off road, at least not intentionally, but if muddy gravel-filled boat launch parking lots are any indication, along with algae-covered slippery ramps, I think you'd probably like them. They're also quiet, and the sidewalls seem nice & stiff - no fidgeting on sharp curves at high speeds.

Reply to
Doug Kanter