Toyota Tacoma

Thats a very good truck. Depending on how old your daughter is, you may wanna just get the 4 cylinder. I find too many young kids driving vehciles with way to much power... plus the 4 banger gets better gas mileage (and its hella reliable... but then again so is the V6).

Reply to
Jason

I'm thinking of getting my daughter a Toyota Tacoma, about a 99 or 2000. any comments on whether or not this is a wise decision? Are there other makes in small trucks I should be looking at? Thx for your opinion, Mike

Reply to
DaMaster

No need to look at other makes. The Toyota is the best truck. Any Toyota owner will tell you that the engines and transmissions seem to run forever, as long as you keep the oil changed. I also recommend that you get the Four-Cylinder model, as it has plenty of power, and is great on gas mileage.

Reply to
rollee

I was looking for a used Tacoma, a 99 or 2000 like yourself, here in Newfoundland. They are hard to find and when you do find one, the resale value is higher than most other trucks in that class and year. I just entered a lease for a 2003 Tacoma XtraCab 4 cyl. No problems around the city, the gas milage is getting better as the engine breaks in, on the highway I have to drop it to 4th, sometimes even 3rd, to get over hills, but I don't consider this an issue as it seems to be geared higher than my old Z24 Cavalier was. Plus I have 31 inch tires on it.

My first tank I got 18MPG, last 2 tanks I got 20MPG. I expect 21-22 on my current tank. Take into consideration my speedo is slightly off by 6-7% and I have been doing some light off-roading as well on each tank.

Go with a Tacoma, I don't expect you or your daughter will be disappointed. I researched my purchase and found the Tacoma rated #1 by Consumer Reports and great ratings on

Cheers

Reply to
Brad

honestly, you can't do better. if you can locate one that has had the oil done every 3000 miles and the other services on time, you'll likey get a truck that'll go 300,000 miles or better. if the oil changes and services continue to be done on time, you- or she- can drive it really hard, even bump it up a couple of times, and it'll go over 300 grand without need for major repairs

Reply to
?reality

I have a 91 Toyota Extended Cab 4x4 with 252,000 miles. I bought it last July with 234,000 and was a little leary of any vehicle with that many miles on it. It is a 5 speed and still gets 19.5 MPG. I will NEVER buy American again. This truck cost 10% of the last new GMC I bought and has NEVER let me down. I cannot say that about the GMC.

Buy the Tacoma - you will not regret it.

Reply to
YSGI

My wife and i did a bunch of research and settled on the Tacoma. Bought a 2001 two weeks ago. We love it. The other truck we considered was the Nissan Frontier; friends have had them and they last a long time too. We liked the Ford Ranger, but it was never as highly rated. Everything we looked at had the Nissan rated second almost every time, the Toyota first, with some ppl preffering the Dakota or the Ranger instead.

In our area, Carmax only had one toyota, many many rangers. Their prices were pretty good. The Toyota Dealer had his used Tacomas at a much higher price than other dealerships, so we went and bought ou Toyota from a Chevrolet dealership after finding the truck on the Internet (autotrader).

Good luck!

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I got my 99 4x4 xtra cab new and its simply an awesome truck. Not a single problem or complaint in 47,000 miles. I also leased 96 for 3 years that was just as good. Solid, reliable trucks that perform well.

Reply to
Tbag

I got a 4cyl June 3rd. On the 5th tank, and almost 1700kms (1050miles). Tank 1: 18MPG mostly city and some off-roading (dealer tank) Tank 2: 20MPG city, 1/2 highway, and some off-roading Tank 3: 20MPG: same as above Tank 4: 21 MPG

Reply to
Brad

I'm also in the market for a new truck, and test drove a 2003 Tacoma Extend cab 4x4 with the I4 last night. The literature says the 4x4 has a 2.7L vs a

2.4L for an Extended cab 4x2. EPA highway milage (standard trans) for the I4 4x4 is 21 vs 28 for the I4 4x2.

Eddie, from your stats, I assume you have the 4x2, but wanted to confirm it.

Also, the ride was very firm - truck like (duh) - compared to my 88 Mazda B2200 LX CabPlus. Does the 4x2 ride any smoother than the 4x4?

I could probably live with the 4x4, but think that I'd prefer the 4x2 for the ride and milage. However, my local dealer doesn't have any 4 cyl 4x2s in stock, and won't get one for me to just test drive.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Leonard

Here's my experience: I have a no-frills 2WD 4 cyl 5 spd 99 Taco...~84K, only change the oil frequently, use regular gas, fully loaded bed [carry my tools w/a fiberglass cargo cover], mostly highway with some local, and I get ~25-30 MPG. Only things I have to replace so far are catalytic [started leaking at

40K and Toyota warranteed it], tires [orig>I'm thinking of getting a Tocoma myself. I don't believe I need the power
Reply to
pieter_bull

Reply to
pieter_bull

The ones made in the last several years are. I don't know exactly which year they started to be the same truck.

Reply to
BB TACO

I just bought a 2003 SR-5 and like it very much, [previous ride was a '97 Saturn wagon]. I got a Rhino Lining sprayed on the bed with the

2.4L. We live in the mountains of San Diego County and in the month that I've had the truck, the mileage is about 21 mpg, mostly city and hills. The hills really do the mileage in.

I'd recommend the truck to anyone who asked.

Still looking for tonneau recommendations, if you're free to divulge what your experience is/was.

Michael

pieter snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
A. Pismo Clam

You was EXTREAMLY WISE to get rid of that saturn , and get a Toyota Truck...I should NEVER have strayed from Toyota Trucks-they are a Excellent Investment-better materials , better design . I am paying DEARLY for trying a disposable stupid Saturn Junk !!! NEVER AGAIN !!!!!

I am ASE certified , and qualified to make that judgement . tim

"A. Pismo Clam" 2.4L. We live in the mountains of San Diego County and in the month that

Reply to
tim kettring