want advice: checking out a 4x4 front axle.

I'm going to be looking at a couple 84 & 85 Toyota 1/2 ton PU front 4x4 axles for the Frankenwillys project this weekend - they're in boneyards.

Anything in particular I should look for as far as what might be trouble spots (besides the obviously bent-up, massively leaky or rotted stuff)? Also, how do I tell what the ratio on them is? Are they tagged?

Cheers, - Jeff G jeffgross.com/frankenwillys - the Toyota/Willys Wagon project from Heck! ;)

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 00:30:29 -0500, "Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)" went like:

Toyota front axles are pretty strong but if you can make sure the birfield (cv) joints are in good shape. They can crack under the stress of oversize tires and hard 4 wheeleing. I just rebuilt the axle on my 85 runner and found it to be easy but very messy. Plan on laying out a painters tarp or some plastic sheeting. And lots of rags! I believe axles with manual transmissions had a 4.10 while automatics had a 4.56 ratio. You might ask Roger Brown or go to his site:

Good Luck!

Reply to
feck

Not too hard or expensive (~$100) to rebuild the axle:

for tires that are either bent in or out (/\ or \/) that can't be fixedand means the housing is bent.Otherwise they are pretty tough.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Thanks guys.

Cheers, - Jeff G