Kubel front axle

Hi

We have just bought a 1973 Beetle which the former owner said had the front axle from a Kubel in it.

It seems to ride much highen that all of the other Beetles we have looked at.

Can some one please help me to identify whether it is in fact a Kubel axle. I can post some pictues somewhere, or is there a quick and easy way?

If it is from a Kubel it will be up for sale here in the UK, as I want to restore the correct ride height.

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony Bennett

Hmm.. I wonder if he is talking about a WWII Kubelwagen, or the later

182 Trekker? The easy way to check would be to look at the suspension. WWII Kubelwagen suspension would be link-pin, whereas (I'm pretty sure) 182 Trekker would have ball joints. Both were 5-bolth on the hubs, but I guess those could have been changed...

Both had higher than standard suspension.

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

Tony-

What you have there is an axle beam from a Type 181, be it called a Safari or Trekker or Thing. The tip-off is the reinforcement on the shock tower above the upper torsion tube.

The ride height is taller because of the way the trailing arms and spindle are made. On a beetle, the upper ball joint points downward and the lower points upward, but on a 181 they both point down and this together with the different spindle makes up the difference in the ride height.

You could fit the trailing arms (all four) and spindles from a beetle to this axle beam to lower the car, or better yet just remove the whole beam assembly and replace it with a complete setup from a beetle, and sell that monstrosity to a Type 181 nut.

Regards, Mark Petrush.

Reply to
Mark Petrush

Hi Mark

Thank you for your detailed help.

I think the answer lies in a new front axle assembly as you suggest. Our local scrapyard has a fired beetle with a decent one so it looks like a trip there next Saturday.

Where do you think I might find a Type 181 (or type 182 since this is RHD) nut who might buy mine complete - It was fitted, I believe new,in May 2001, and done very few miles since then.

Also, how rare are these, and is there a demand?

Thanks again

Tony

Mark Petrush wrote:

Reply to
Tony Bennett

Some THING sites of (possible) interest:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Speedy Jim

I've now got somewhere to go

Tony

Reply to
Tony Bennett

Offroad entusiasts might have more of an interest over 181 guys due to it being a taller and stronger setup than a typical type 1's. Unless of course beams rot easily etc.. over there. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro