What would cause a new prerunner to get bad gas mileage?

I have a 2002 with a 2.7 L 4 cyl that is getting about 13 mpg. It seems to run OK, but the mileage should be closer to 20 mpg. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
preechr

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:38:11 -0800, preechr found these unused words floating about:

Do you have the heating system set to 'defrost' and the thermostat mid-low to low?

This runs the AC automatically. My Tacoma only got 15 mpg 'till I found this out. Now I average just under 20.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

Hey the Tacoma is a little truck! Your mileages seem low to me. My '98 Tacoma with 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed manual does 23 around town and better than 26 on the road. That's with 80,000 miles on it and never even a tune up. Of course this is flat country around here it that makes a difference. My V6 2002 4x4 4runner mileage is about 20.

Reply to
hudsonasmith_remove

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:55:50 GMT, hudsonasmith snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com found these unused words floating about:

Hey!

That's because you have the minimum version.

I have the DC, 4x4, Auto tranny so you would compare it with your

4Runner, not the basic model. FWIW, that 20 mpg also includes about 15% in 4 Lo.
Reply to
J. A. Mc.

perhaps bad calculations ??

if it were that bad, i suspect you would notice probably something wrong with injectors or air/fuel mixture.

how about gears/tires ? any changes there ??

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Maybe a neighborhood kid is syphoning gas out of the tank?

Reply to
Wolfgang

Yes, cooler weather, you let it idle to warm up? Remember, anytime the engine is running and your nopt moving, mileage is dropping constantly.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Heavy right foot???

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for all the help. Here's a little more info:

I'm in southern California, so no cold weather. We're in the mid 60's to 70's right now. It's also flat here. A few hills, but not that we drive through. Mostly in town driving.

Calculations are good since the results are repeatable. A heavy right foot could be part of the problem, but I doubt it would cost me 7 mpg.

I'm going to have the brakes checked for dragging. I do see some dust on the rims, so that is one possibility. Also, I'll check the heater thing and see how it's set. This is my kid's truck, so I don't get inside it that often.

I have a friend that can do a compressi>I have a 2002 with a 2.7 L 4 cyl that is getting about 13 mpg. It

Reply to
preechr

Ah, "my kid's truck" says it all. Having been a kid once --- you let it idle while talking to friends and playing the stereo. You rev the engine while at stop lights to get others attention. Jack rabbit starts followed by panic stops. Sitting in So CA traffic and not moving. Lots of short trips - back and forth. Assume it is an automatic too. 13 mpg city type driving is ok. My older 85 22RE w/5spd and gentle driving gives 16-17 around town and 23-24 on highway if I keep it below 75. Constructive things to check - would be to change out the thermostat since perhaps it never lets it reach proper operating temperature and try a K&N low restriction air filter.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Same here, but my dad made sure I paid for my own transportation whcih I'm sure made me become a little more responsible (you know, no gas money, then I could walk!). Then, when I had to pay *ALL* my own bills, I became a *LOT* more responsible... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM