PreRunner Gas Mileage?

I was thinking about trading in my '91 4X2 extended cab on an '03 Pre with the 2.7 I-4 in an automatic. The rated mileage is 17 city and 20 highway! I'm thinking this should be higher since it's only a 4 cyl. Anyone have any thoughts or personal experience on that one? I'm getting 27 mpg in my '91 4 cyl 5 spd. Thanks H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

Those numbers sound about right to me. I had a '01 Pre with V6 and got about 14 city, 16.5 hwy. My '04 4D 4WD V6 gets about the same 14 city, 16.5 hwy.

Be aware though, it's a slightly heavier truck than what you have now, and the 4 cylinder, while heavy duty, is a bit underpowered, but it will serve it's over-all purpose.

How many total miles you have on your '91?

Reply to
studio
158,900. Never replaced the clutch or had to do any major work, just the small stuff. Changed the oil every 4-5K and did the regular services myself. Overall it has been a great truck and I hate to get rid of it but the wife says it's time for a new one. Ouch, she twisting my arm! Do you think its worth getting a V6 instead? H-S-F
Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

Personally speaking, I wouldn't want anything other than the V6. What I would rather have is a manual transmission. That alone would make the gas mileage a bit better. They're extremely rare to find though as far the pre-'05's goes.

I used to have a '89 4sp. Toy pickup also. Should have never gotten rid of it. Easy to fix, easy to maintain, easy to drive, easy on gas.

Reply to
studio

Well, I ended up buying the '03 Pre last night. I'm still wondering if I should have gotten the V6 but that's the proverbial water under the dam! I'm very interested in seeing how the mileage pans out, I'll keep you posted. H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin