12v conversion and engine swap

well,to start i?m not much of a mechanic but i,ve always wanted my own beetle to restore.so its a learning process for me .i would like to learn my car inside and out so i figured id get one in restorable condition.i have a 63 beetle.here are my ??s:what do i need to change over when converting to 12v.(i have a 12v generator)?also,was wondering if i upgrade my 1200cc to a 1600cc if it would be compatable with my transmission(i?d like to be able to drive it on the interstate with out being passed by old ladies)imsure there are answers posted in here somewhere but im to impatient to stare at my computer that long.any answeres would greatly be appreciated. thanx :wink:

Reply to
shaneh

Congrats on the '63 (me too).

You can find most of the info you need on my web site: "6V to 12V conversion"

The subject has also been covered many, many times elsewhere. Do a GOOGLE for: VW + 12V + conversion (or something similar).

As far as "updating" your 1200 to 1600, you're talking about a complete new engine, not just rebuilding the old one bigger.

I'd like to make a suggestion, since you're a bit new to this: Buy a handful of VW manuals or how-to books and begin by studying the innards before you jump into anything. Find out what tools and mechanical experience you'll need. Then start a budget and list of parts you'll need.

Speedy Jim ('63)

Speedy Jim

"Speedy Jim" wrote: > shaneh wrote: > > well,to start i?m not much of a mechanic but i,ve always > wanted my own > > beetle to restore.so its a learning process for me .i would > like to > > learn my car inside and out so i figured id get one in > restorable > > condition.i have a 63 beetle.here are my ??s:what do i need > to change > > over when converting to 12v.(i have a 12v > generator)?also,was > > wondering if i upgrade my 1200cc to a 1600cc if it would be > compatable > > with my transmission(i?d like to be able to drive it on the > interstate > > with out being passed by old ladies)imsure there are answers > posted > > in here somewhere but im to impatient to stare at my > computer that > > long.any answeres would greatly be appreciated. thanx :wink: > > > > Congrats on the '63 (me too). > > You can find most of the info you need on my web site: > "6V to 12V conversion" > > The subject has also been covered many, many times > elsewhere. > Do a GOOGLE for: VW + 12V + conversion > (or something similar). > > As far as "updating" your 1200 to 1600, you're talking > about > a complete new engine, not just rebuilding the old one > bigger. > > I'd like to make a suggestion, since you're a bit new to > this: > Buy a handful of VW manuals or how-to books and begin by > studying the innards before you jump into anything. > Find out what tools and mechanical experience you'll need. > Then start a budget and list of parts you'll need. > > Speedy Jim ('63) >

thanks very helpful site.less work than i thought it would be and just happens that i have a 12v starter from an auto stick too.

Reply to
shaneh