72 Bus exhaust header leak

Hello-

My father-in-law, my wife, and I have been in the process of replacing the engine on my wife's 72 bus. Everything has gone really well up to this point. We can't seal an exhaust leak between 72 (stock)header & head. The ends of headers were milled but still will not seal. Plus header bolts are pulling out, just can=92t get a good torque.

Anyone on this list have a similar experience? If so, what did you do?

thanks for any advice!

Scott

Reply to
MSJoneser

Do you have new gaskets?

you will need to get a good seal or you will have backfiring.

You can get new exhaust studs from the Bus Depot.

we pulled our 72 from a junkyard had it at a camp out 20 hrs later you can say.

Reply to
Kafertoys

gaskets are good. header bolts are new, too.

Reply to
MSJoneser

Scott, what type of gaskets? I had terrible luck with the stock ones (metal) that come in the gasket kits, I could not get them to seal, I got some thicker all fiber gaskets and that solved the problem with my tri-mil. Similar to these here:

fixer33

Reply to
george taylor

Plus header bolts are pulling out, just can=92t get a good

Try a different torque wrench , it will be time consuming if you have to fix a striped header bolt hole.

I take and put a very thin layer of permitex on the header ports and snug the header in place with the new gaskets then remove to see the sealing surface. you may need to file the headers

Reply to
Kafertoys

If the header bolts are pulling out the heads are toast. You can try to helicoil or threadsert them but there isn't alot of material there. Pull them too much and the bosses crack!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
dalwin