Cracked exhaust header

well, my 97 wrangler exhaust header finally cracked. The leak sounds horrible and my gas mileage has started dropping. I need to replace the header for not a lot of dough. any recommendations for a new header? What about any gotchas during the replacement?

The sad part is, I'm looking to sell this jeep, but I doubt if anyone would buy it with an exhaust leak. I hate fixing something just to turn and sell it.

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Cox

you can buy the manifold online for around 100 bucks.. if yer a diy'er drop the motor mount and come up through the bottum it takes an hour to an hour

1/2.. the local shops around here..charge 150-175 bucks instalation if you bring the part, but Im in Houston
Reply to
Jeeper

I did it on my 99 ,I just followed the procedure in my Haynes manual. Bought the manifold for about 100 bucks, came with a gasket. If you replace the gasket you have to remove the intake manifold and everything attached. Not too hard, took me 3 or 4 hours one Sunday to do it. The bolts are a bit of a pain to torque down once everything is all put back together. I had to use a few different length extensions and universal joints.

Jerry S.

Reply to
Jerry Slaughter