A Money Pit

Boy am I learning more about VW's then I thought that I did. Some of you know my story of finding a real steal of a VW. It had been stolen and then rolled into a lake. It was not in the water but for a few hours and it did not even have any water get into the oil pan. The main problem was when it was pulled out of the water they ran the straps through the front doors and distoryed the roof. Otherwise it looked ok. It had set for about 3 years and I got it for 100.00. It has now become a money pit, like the movie. I have owned and worked on Vw's since the late 60's and felt that I was up to the task even though I am now disabled and can only do so much at a time. I tell you I have almost bit off more then I can chew with the few teeth that I have left. First off I cut the top off and pulled the engine. After taking the engine apart I found that the inside was in preety good shape, just some rust in a couple of cly's. After cleaning the cly's and pistons up and checking everything over I put it back togather and reinstalled it, DUMB. At first I was just going to put the pan repair kits in and then I found a deal on a pair of full pans. Why OH why didn't someone kick my butt. I am now trying to replace them without taking the body off. Today I was trying to get the bolts off and even though I still have not gotten them out I have 3 new cuts on my hands. I could move them a little and wd-40 them and move them a little more in between having the socket slip and getting a new cut and a few chouse words. As I was working on the rear bolt underneth I see that the rear end is welded to the pan so I will have to atleast move the body up a few inchs to get this cut off. I am sure glad that I don't need the car all that bad. I just love bugs and wanted another one. My last was many years ago and they are so much fun to run around in. I hate driving what everyone else has and feeling like one in the hurd of cows. The weather is now turning and I have to work outside so it looks like this project will not get done until sometime next year. One good thing about here in east Tx. it will not be all that cold nor will it last for long. It can be great getting out some days in Jan. in shirtsleeve's. Not much said as to how to help with anything it is just blowing off some steam after a days work and to let everyone know that they are not the only ones out their having a hell of a time whipping these old bugs into shape.

Reply to
Packrat46

Sorry to hear that, man. If you were closer, I'd come over and help you curse :) Your warm weather in January sounds much more appealing that our CT snow.

In lieu of that, here's my 2c: Did something similar a couple of months ago and found that WD40 did not really help me very much as it did not seem to penetrate well. You'll need a good penetrating oil (PB blaster, Kroil) and the trick will be to get the oil onto the threads and plate that the bolt is holding onto -- and that you don't have good access to. I poked holes in the heater channels and sprayed the stuff in. Of course, I am replacing my channels so didn't care about doing damage. Maybe - in an extreme case only - you can drill a small hole to spray oil through a straw and carefully reclose the hole with seam sealer when you're all done..

Reply to
Remco

Reply to
Packrat46

That must be frustrating, knowing how to do it yet not being able to do as much as you used to. With me it is the other way around (although stamina is rapidly disappearing and not being readily replenished with knowledge :)

Maybe one of the locals can lend a hand? Anyone in TX in your area on this thread?

You'll get it, I am sure. It'll just take longer. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Here is a link for the Bug Me videos:

Packrat46 wrote:

Reply to
Jim347a

Try John Henry's website - the Bug Shop. He tells of a trick using welding to the head of the bolt.

Fweem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Tosi