Hmm. Bus rear window seal.

Whaddayaknow.

A super beetle windshield seal fits a split window bus rear window glass quite nicely, no mods required. I guess tomorrow or maybe wednesday I will know if the seal agrees to sit in the bus body too. It won't know if it's facing front or rear, right?

The type 2 seal was not available locally, but a smooth type (no trim groove) super beetle windshield seal seemed to be about the same size, as I was looking at one in the parts store. Roughly 10 dollars and a few hours later ( lunchbreak parts run :) ), I rushed home and test fitted it. I can say it at least fits the glass, and does it nicely. Go figure.

Also picked up a front brake cylinder seal from another FLAPS, from their "grab-bag" of miscellaneous parts of uncertain origin. It was still in teh sealed bag it sells in, so it was brand new. Just had been collecting dust on the shelf alone, long enough for them to decide it had deserved it's place in the "various bits and pieces, odds and ends" bin. Almost 2 dollars for a rubber, I've had cheaper ;) It fit like a glove. (On the brake cylinder piston that is). I didn't want to ruin a good day, so I didn't go out for a test drive yet. Mañana...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Bummer. Seal fits glass just great, but the seal is too thick.. won't fit in the frame with the glass. The glass sits recessed quite deep in the door, unlike the super beetle windshield which is surface mounted more or less.

I went to a place that sells.... stuff made of rubber. And got me some sample pieces of two types of generic window seal rubber. Enough talking. I need to go in the garage.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Update on the update: The window is now installed. I cut the "sealing lips" or whatever they're called, off from the underside of the seal, and even trimmed the outside lip a little.. and the darned thing now fits! The glass is installed!

Oh and another break/brake through: for the first time in 20 years, BOTH front wheels have brakes! I bled the system a hundred times last night with my sister (of all people!) and it finally responds. All hard lines and brake hoses are new, but wheel cylinders and master cylinder are original. Honed them and replaced one ruptured wheel cylinder seal. Woohoo! Now if I could get teh rear wheels to join in on the fun when the pedal is pressed... I'm close.. so very close to INSPECTION DAY.

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

"Jan Andersson" wrote

I guess this means that Supers are at least good for *something* ... right? ;-)

Must you always tease us with these mentions of your sister? After your previous description of her, I hereby demand that you not mention her again unless you provide pictures. Please? :-)

Reply to
Scott H

Right, but not without modification ;)

Ok I will try to remember that :)