Internet car purchasing scam on Samba.com

First and foremost, I put thesamba.com in the subject line to try to catch anyones eye that may have listed a car there recently. I don't believe in any way, shape or form that they are a part of this scam but I do believe crooks are useing thesamba.com's classifieds as a 'field to harvest from'.

There are many people who have been exposed to a certain type of car purchasing scam being perpetrated to some sellers listing classified ads on this site.

If you go on thier home page, upper left hand corner of the screen is a link to take you to a full description of this 'classified's scam'. The short version is, foreign buyer, eager to buy car w/o much scrutiny or haggeling however, they want to send you a (bogus) cashiers check for considerably more than the purchase price hoping that you will trust the check, deposit it and forward them the balance to their shipper or to them. Anyway, something seemed fishy, I came across this info and it explained it all. I'm going to request that thesaba.com send a warning e-mail to new classified posters to warn them.

Hope this helps get the word out a bit.

Chris

74 SB still for sale :-( to legitimate buyers
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Last year while selling a van I recieved several of these offers. I ignored them because they asked for my bank account information so they could make "an immediate transfer". Whatever! If it's too good to be true, chances are....IT IS. The old saying holds true now more than ever.

Greg '70 Beetle

Reply to
greg edmonds

True, but these guys aren't asking for your banking info (that's too obvious) they are counting on our false belief that a certified check is as good as guaranteed money. It is not!

Later Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

just got a certified check that was junk for the 72 westy I'm selling, all the jerk did was waste a few bucks sending it to me.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Part of the reason these scams work is that the banking industry itself "trusts" the checks to a certain point and "assume" that they are legit - because ultimately they have nothing to lose. It's likely a month to six weeks before the transaction has gone through all the steps and the seller finds his bank account "adjusted" to cover the bank. By then, there is no action available to anyone. -BH

(that's too

certified check is as

these offers. I

so they could make