Noticable Power Increase?

I want to upgrade my 1600 single port a bit at a time...thinking dual port heads and manifolds first, then an 87mm piston kit a month or two later.....how much power gain will I notice between the 1600 SP and the 1641 DP? Then...maybe dual carb in the fall...... any comments?

Reply to
GusDaDog

Shane

problems with the 87mm pistons? I heard of problems with the 88mm which is why I decided against them but never heard of issues with the 87mm..... Is this true?

Reply to
GusDaDog

Along with the dual carbs, or even BEFORE carbs, a single header exhaust (JCWHITNEY has it cheap and okay-with heater connections) exiting behind the right back wheel, maybe an inch and five eighths diameter, gives a little boost....also, weight removal really helps...of course the car gets louder when you tear the firewall insulation, etc. out...

Reply to
pmbedard

I already have some form of aftermarket exhaust...not sure if it does anything productive for power though, you tell me...

GusDaDog

That setup looks PERFECT...I've heard (here @Ramva) that a "Monza" style setup is crappy...it looks like you know about weight removal :+) any more pics of the car? paul

Reply to
pmbedard

that is the car as I got it last fall generally.... Fiance bought it for me as a gift....

Reply to
GusDaDog

................Hope you married her. She's gotta be a keeper.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

If you can find them look to getting a set of Keith Black Racing Jugs. I have upgraded my 72 bus from a 1776 to a 2.09 liter with the Keith Black 96mm jugs. HUGE difference in running temp and they are just breaking in after 30,000 miles. I may be off with his name its either Keith or Kent.

Hippo

Reply to
Hippopotabus

oh, here is a pic of the fiance who GAVE me the car :)

GusDaDog

AND SHE BAKES TOOO!!!!! Good gawd, man ... hang onto that one!

Larry

'71 Super Beetle - "Herman"

Larry St. Regis

yep - she's definitely a keeper! :+)paul

Reply to
pmbedard