want more power Chevy 4.3 V6

Have been reading and your right, the 4.3L is a great engine for flying down the freeway, but to tow, NO, how can I improve hp, my truck is very clean and like new, How hard is it to put in a small V8, and what matches up to the computor? I would really like a 5.3 but---- or should I do the 4.3L high output, anyone know the hp differences, it is a 2001 Gmc single cab/shorty.

thank you Bright Red truck Lady, needs more power.

Reply to
Nancy Olsen

Have been reading and your right, the 4.3L is a great engine for flying down the freeway, but to tow, NO, how can I improve hp, my truck is very clean and like new, How hard is it to put in a small V8, and what matches up to the computor? I would really like a 5.3 but---- or should I do the 4.3L high output, anyone know the hp differences, it is a 2001 Gmc single cab/shorty.

thank you Bright Red truck Lady, needs more power.

Reply to
Nancy Olsen

Google 4.3L supercharger and read. How many miles you got on that thing? If you're over 50k you'll stress the rod bearing into early failure unless you have them replaced. While you're down there do the mains. Not that expensive if you can do this work. The 5.3 (327CUI) does about 270 horses. The 4.3L HO has 195 horses, 45 more than what you currently have. Also better torque of course. In every case you'll have to reprogram or replace the OBD II. Or find a rebuilt carburetored small block from the

70's. Lots of choices, depends on your mechanical abilities and how much money you have.
Reply to
A. Baum

My truck has the 6 liter, and it isn't even that good at towing. Grunts and complains on every hill while towing 6000 pounds. A true towing engine will cost major bank for you to have installed. It would probably be cheaper to buy a used 2500HD. Though, for some reason, this thread appears to be incomplete and I might not have all of the particulars. If so, my apologies.

Reply to
Nightcrawler

Doesn't the predator programmer have a towing , power, super power mode.

Reply to
DogDiesel

My towing vehicle is a 98 Dodge Ram Turbo Cummins with an Allison tranny. I wouldn't even notice 6000 pounds in tow. Of course I got about 550 ft lbs torque at 2500 rpm :)

I kinda agree with you. An engine replant isn't the best way to go. Sell what you got or use it for a down payment on an HD2500 if you insist on Chevy. Another beast is that F350 V8 Power Stroke Ford. Not cheap but with a 5th wheel tow you got something that won't flinch at 10k pounds in a dual.

Reply to
A. Baum