replacement fuel hose

I have detected a fuel leak in the braided hose in my engine compartment (between the carb and fuel pump). Do I have to replace the line with the braided stuff or can I use other material? As well, how necessary is the filter between the pump and the carb? I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether it's required other than that it can catch pieces of a degraded fuel pump diaphragm. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

"Rev Turd Fredericks" schreef in bericht news:G4Kkh.126038$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.news.easynews.com...

IMHO it's just best to keep using the braided one. They are cheap and fit the purpose. I would NOT use the filter inside the enginebay. And certainly not between the pump and carb. (pressure side) If you google a bit you can find out why (if you already havent done so) I have mine right after tank ánd above trans... overkill??

Here's what I found:

hope this helps Roger

Reply to
bug '59

I replaced the inline fuel filter with a larger one from a minivan and located it immediately after the gas tank.

Funkie

Turd:

VW makes a braided hose designed to fit the fuel line without use of clamps. On my VW it has an inner diameter of 5.5 mm. Not all VWs use the same diameter hose. VW hose ends crack rather easily. If you use them, make sure you use a clamp on each end, otherwise you might end up with your car going up in flames when the hose works its way loose.

I use 1/4 inch hose made by Gates. It has a bigger outside diameter, it has an inner cord for strength, and it lasts forever. 1/4 inch hose equals 6.35 mm and fits as long as I tighten the clamps securely. I've used it for over 20 years.

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

This is my first attempt at offering some advice/help, so here goes... (the following is gleemed from multiple message boards and my own experience)

The fuel hose between the pump and the carb on the A/C VW is 5mm inside diameter (ID) w/ a woven braid around the outside (advertised as "German hose"). Fuel Injected engines use 7mm hose. Most fuel hose you can buy at the parts store will be SAE sizes (fraction of inches, assuming you're in the US) and will not be the proper fit on the VW metal (metric) fittings (1/4" hose is >6mm). Too large a hose and you risk it falling off the fitting. It is only recommended to use the proper metric sized hose (except as maybe a temp fix -- just to get you home). Even a clamp will not prevent a large hose from falling off a fitting that's too small.

In the engine area, any leak or lose hose will drip gasoline on your hot engine or ignition system. The risk of a fire is VERY high. Don't risk it! Use the proper parts to prevent a fire.

I would personnaly recommend:

- metal hose clamps at all connections

- check/replace hoses often

- keep the hoses just long enough to do the job w/o tension, routed away from any metal or electrical connections

- use the proper sized (5mm) ID German hose

There is a debate about the risk of using a fuel filter between the pump and the carb. The risk is that the weight of the filter + pressure in the hose + vibrations may cause the filter to come loose and spill fuel on the engine while you drive. But why risk a fire by putting one there? There is a fuel filter built into the pump (but not a great one) and you can put a filter either below the fuel tank or in the fuel hose next to the transmission. If it were come loose in one of these locations the chance of a fire is much lower. The vibrations in these locations are lower which also reduces the chances of the filter coming loose, and the filter is on the low pressure side of the pump which also helps to keep the connections together.

I will mention that by placing a filter (restriction) on the low-pressure (suck) side of the fuel pump, people have voiced a concern that hi temperature and (low) pressure could cause the fuel to vaporize in the line/filter. If this were to happen you would experience a condition similar to "vapor lock" where the engine would stop due to fuel starvation. Most people don't have a problem. Try it yourself and decide if your specific environment will cause a problem. I've never had a problem w/ my filter next to the tranny.

Your first move should be.... fix that leaking hose :-)

Good luck!

Rev Turd Fredericks wrote:

Reply to
AshMan

Thanks to all for your prompt responses. Has anyone actually not used the filter at all? My A/C VW mechanic friend is on vacation, otherwise I would ask him, but I need to take care of this problem immediately. The fuel only leaks after I have driven, and then turn the car off it never seems to leak if the engine is simply running.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

So it leaks when the engine is still, with no airflow around it and is hot? Yeh, fix it. Now. I run braided from the tank to the engine bay to help with chaffing, I use regular hose in the bay. At this point, I don't think it really matters what you use, just get it done before you have a roasted Bug.

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks

Yeah, I don't plan on driving it until it's fixed.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks