Trouble shooting checklist for Intermitent start on SB '72

The ignition only just clicks sometimes. Won't turn over. I wait a minute turn iginition back and forth and then back and then starts. I can even turn it off and it will start back up. I think however, now the wait time is getting longer. Ten minutes, is it a heat thing? Besides, push starting, is there a way to jump it from the engine compartment? Maybe the starter going out?

Anybody have any simple checklist ideas or process of elimination? thanks. It's my daily driver, so I don't have time to really examine all possiblities. And if I could possibly get by jump starting it somehow first, I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
circuit slave

The problem is in the starter.. I forget exactly, but you feed it low-current 12v from the switch and a relay contacts to draw directly off the battery to run the solenoid and motor. Your relay is going "iffy". I don't know if you can rebuild just that part. A new starter is ~$80, IIRC.

Or it could be the electrical contacts in your ignition switch. A test probe on the switch contact on the starter motor will prove which part is going "iffy". If it lights (or buzzes) when you put the switch in the start position and motor doesn't kick-in, your starter motors relay is the bad part.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

What year vehicle? If its an older Bus, BUg or Ghia (pre-68) you can test the switch by "hot wiring" it. Just remove the hot lead and touch it to the starter lead. If it works fine then you know its the switch. If not, it could be the wire running to the starter has too much resistance or the problem is in the starter. You can check the starter by putting the car in neutral ,setting the brake, and then running a screw driver across the hot lead on the starter to the starter wire terminal . If it spins fine then the problem lays elsewhere.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Under the rear seat, on the driver's side, look for a Red wire in a plastic splice to another Red wire or possibly a Red/Blk. Use a short jumper wire to connect this splice to the battery + post. (Shift in Neutral!) If it cranks now, the Ignition switch is the likely culprit. It's a common problem.

If it does *not* crank with the jumper wire, check the push-on connector on the starter solenoid.

The symptoms do not sound like bad battery cables or connections, but if all else fails, check them.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks, Dan, Dave, and Jim! I appreciate it. Will check all your suggestions over the weekend. Happy VD ! hehe

Reply to
circuit slave