110 CSW 98 intermitent start problem ??

300 Tdi, for a while now occasionally when the key is turned totally dead, lights on etc. but no starter. Called LR assistance a few times and changed the ignition alarm coil, then recomended the starter changed which I did but still the problem. Talking to the technition at the garage he reckons it could be the alarm spider(hence immobiliser stops starter ) this I have thought for a while now. He expalined that the problem is quite common on the two button remote systems for Defender and Discovery models. Needs an upgrade to the spider which involces taking apart the black box, replacing the circuitry and feeding a transponder to the dash to allow for seperate disarming.

Anybody heard of this and the solution, must say I keep my ear to the ground and this is news to me.

Tia John H

PS. rocking the car in gear seems to free the starter ( so does a good thump on the alrm spider when frustrated !! )

Reply to
Hirsty's