using unleaded fuel

wondering if anyone is having trouble using unleaded fuel on vehicles that were designed to use leaded fuel I have also been told that volkswagen engines have the timing retarded on No3 cylinder to help prevent overheating due to the close proximity of the oil cooler, any comments Regards Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

For some reason it gets scant attention here in the US but has been widely discussed on the UK newsgroup.

Do a GOOGLEGROUPS Advanced search:

on newsgroup: uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled and with the word: unleaded

Hundreds of articles.

Oh, and the retarded timing for #3 was discontinued long ago (mid 1960's ?).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I've been using unleaded in my '66, and don't seem to be having any problems.

However, I always seem to get a slightly smoother run on LRP (Lead Replacement Petrol), seems to run cooler and slightly faster. But not a lot of difference to unleaded to be honest, I'm just being ultra picky!

I usually try and fill up on LRP, but it's getting harder to find. Most of my local petrol stations just have unleaded and diesel now.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose