Leaded & Unleaded fuel.

A friend of my wife's has just phoned, having put £20's worth of LRP into a car designed for unleaded (VW Golf). Prior to this, the tank was about a quarter full.

Will this cause damage to the cat or anything else if she carries on driving without draining the fuel off and replacing it?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Why on earth would she phone you if you don't know anything about cars? Seems a very odd thing to do. That's a new one, from the many messages with " a friend " to " friend of my wife " !

Reply to
Ian B

"Ian B" wrote

Because she thought I might, but I don't. Do you know the answer or not?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

It depends what's used to R the L. Generally speaking it is not a good thing at all to use LRP if your car has a catalyst and it may well bollox it. Take it all out and start again unless you're willing to take the risk.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The only thing it could damage would be the cat. However during the fuel strike thingy I put loads of LRP in a Mondeo that should've been unleaded only. It's passed a couple of MOTs since with no probs.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Only thing I could find was this webpage from the DFT.

which says "If your car is fitted with a catalytic converter using lead replacement petrol or anti-wear additives could damage the catalyst, you must use ONLY unleaded petrol as recommended in the vehicle's handbook."

Dunno if it means you can get away with half a tankfull though. I would personally drive it and keep it topped up. I would think any deposits of whatever on the catalyst would be burnt off.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

If it were an 'unleaded only' vehicle then the filler hole would preclude putting an lrp nozzle in the tank.

So just drive it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Is she sure it's LRP ? Can she check the receipt ?

Where the hell did she find LRP, I've not seen it for months (been actively looking)

The LRP nozzles I've used are larger than the UL ones so how did she managed to get it past the filler restricter ?

As to your question, errr, dunno ;(

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I was looking all over for a garage selling LRP a few weeks back. Needed it for an old Sierra with a Pinto engine that should have LRP every forth tank, but rarely got it.

Surely that different size pump nozzle idea would have been a good thing to prevent putting diesel in a petrol vehicle. A narrow pump nozzle for petrol and bigger for diesel. Of course it wouldn't stop petrol going into a diesel tank, but its a start. I'm sure some simple bit of plastic could be produced to reduce the petrol tank filler hole for each type of car and half of the problem would be solved.

Luckily I've never put diesel in my petrol car or petrol in my diesel van, but I was pleased to read recently that my diesel van can run on up to 30% petrol in the tank (VW's words from handbook). It was even recommended for extremely cold climates to thin the diesel out a bit. Its an old and basic diesel engine though (VW DW engine) and I expect most of the modern diesels would be damaged by even a sniff of petrol - so don't do it.

Rgds Bucket

Reply to
Bucket

I doubt using LRP every fourth tank would make any difference? Lead used to coat the valve surfaces and remain for some time, but I've not read that whatever they use in LRP does the same.

This is exactly the case with most petrol cars since the introduction of cats in the UK. The filler orifice has a restrictor to prevent 4 star, LRP, or diesel nozzles fitting.

Diesel owners are presumably thought to have more sense than petrol ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Engines are £10-£20 from scrappies and take an hour or so to swap so is there any point worrying about it?

I'm certainly not bothering to worry about the Capri. When the tappets shut up, I'll know the valves have recessed into the head and then I'll just get another motor or head and pop it in before dinner. I'll certainly save far more on fuel using UL instead of LRP than the cost of a replacement head/motor by the time it fails if it does at all.

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
a.n.other

"a.n.other" wrote in news:dtil0k$lal$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

^^^

Note the reference to a feminine member of the species. Thus all arguments based upon reason and logic are completely null and void.

Reply to
Stu