Vaccum Photo Pop Quiz

I've uploaded a photo of the vaccum hose connections coming out of my Distributor to my 34 Pict 3. Can anyone tell me whether:

http://216.58.12.229/~gfsc/pics/75SBVaccum.jpg (330kb)

- Retard hose to manifold looks right

- Hose from air cleaner doesn't go anywhere (just hangs)...should it?

You'll notice a bright, new Kafer carb from cip1...which is back in the shipping box as the throttle bushing was *%$@! leaking. I should be getting a replacement Solex soon.

Thx,

Tom

Reply to
=B^)

Distributor to my 34 Pict 3. Can anyone tell me whether:

shipping box as the throttle bushing was *%$@! leaking. I should be getting a replacement Solex soon.

Air cleaner hose goes to manifold "neck" to get full vacuum.

Problem with the Retard hose is that it will always be on full retard. It's supposed to go to port on rear of 34PICT. I think with this setup you will have timing problems.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

yea, what Jim said

Jan

Reply to
Jan

And vacuum has 2 U's....not 2 C's :)

Reply to
Karl

Thaanks Kaarl :)

OK, thanks Speedy and Jan for reaffirming what you've said all along...but the photos sure do make it easier to explain things. I thought the rear port on carb was only used for two vacc...er...vacuum dizzies.

Virtual air-cooled troubleshooting. Works great!

Reply to
Bugzai

Wrong ;)

The advance line is the smaller port on the left side of the carb(standing at the rear of the car). It goes to the front side of the vac can. The retard line from the rear of the can goes to the port on the rear of the carb(front is front of car). The line for the air cleaner heated air bypass goes to the intake manifold.

the shipping box as the throttle bushing was *%$@! leaking. I should be getting a replacement Solex soon.

Good luck, I had two bad ones in a row from CIP and it took about a month of fighting with them to get a refund. You can email kris at cip1.com, Kris Ingaldson is the parts manager. I had okay results communicating with him. If you have an old carb you might be better off having rimco rebush the throttle shaft. After two bad 'brand new' carbs I sent my old one in for repair, paid the $50 or whatever and rebuilt the thing. It runs like new.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Or you can order your Pierburg "Kafer" from Aircooled.net and not have a problem, as he returned the batch of bad ones he received...

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Yes, I've talked with Kris. As soon as I said what the symptoms were he offered a refund no problem. Seems they had a bad batch. I hope the Brosal/Solex one will not have any problems. $129 down from $159.

Do you have a contact? I'm from Ottawa, Canada.

Thanks Chris,

Tom

Reply to
=B^)

">If you have an old carb you might be better off

Do you have a contact? I'm from Ottawa, Canada.

Thanks Chris,

Tom "

I don't know anyone specifically at Rimco, but you can reach them via their website at

I just mailed my casting offto them with my credit card information and about two weeks it was backon my porch.

It's $40 to get the throttle shaft bushings replaced. In addition to that you will need an overhaul kit, and if you really want it done right the first time around, a gallon of berryman's "Chem tool" carburetor soak and a couple cans of the spray carb cleaner to hose everything out after you soak it. You must clean the casting after you get it back, mine still had some filings visible inside where they ground down the screws on the throttle shaft.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

"Or you can order your Pierburg "Kafer" from Aircooled.net and not have a problem, as he returned the batch of bad ones he received..."

I think the best advice is to rebuild what you already have. I know Mr. Hoover has been saying this for quite some time. Based on my own experience, I am inclined to agree with him.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I bought the Pierburg/Kafer and it leaked also. I returned the POS for a Bocar carbs that seems to be working great.

Reply to
User Example