Diesel Rabbit vaccum pump

Hi all, Got a bit of a problem... since I bought my 1984 Rabbit, the vaccum pump on it has not worked. I ordered a rebuild kit from Adirondak Auto Brokers and according to their descriptions, I have a "valve" type vaccum pump. Well, the kit arrived here today and I'll be damned if I can figure out where these parts go... There is a picture of the pump at the address below:

Can anyone tell me which type this is? and how the hell do you take it apart to rebuild it? The rebuild kit is pictured here:

The rebuild kit is shown here... can anyone tell me if this is the right one?

Thanks,

Tony Kimmell Towanda, IL

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

[...]

Well, I know only one type of vakuum pump, and that looks like this one:

No, sorry, don't know anything bout two different types.

taking apart is simple: Take out the three bolts that hold down the lid the hose was conneted to. Inside you will find four wings sticking in a slotted steel drum. Unless the shaft got excessive radial play or the wings are worn beyond recognition there's nothing to rebuild in there. Only thing you could replace is the O-Ring under the lid, as it may have become quite hard and flat.

No, I'm afraid for me this does not resemble anything that's usually found inside the pump. BTW: The pump needs oil pressure to drive the wings to the perimeter and to seal off the line where the wings touch the housing - sometimes the bore inside the oil pump's axle - thats what drives the vacuum pump down there gets plugged.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

That's the kit of the older type diaphram pump, those are the two valves in the head of the pump. Yours is the newer design pump, I have one in my 1.9D engine, never had to rebuild it, but I'm sure a trip to a local VW parts dealer would sort it out.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Not 100 percent sure but I think your pump is from a 85 or newer diesel.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

The repair kit pictured is not for this vaccum pump. The kit is for a membrane pump (though I don't see the replacement membrane, which if I recall was sold separately).

best,

Erik

Reply to
E Tirschler

Hmm, I never thought of that. I have had 4 other diesel Rabbits over the years, but all their vaccum pumps worked, so I never paid attention to what they looked like. I've got an '81 parts rabbit at the house, with what is obviously the "diaphragm type" pump in it.

On the parts Rabbit, there is a plate right next to the oil filter adapter with a hose running out of it that runs into the vaccum pump. On my '84 with the newer pump, this plate is blank. What's that hose for?

At any rate... I DID manage to get the pump to work. I took the top off and reversed the 4 little vanes inside, so they were riding on the opposite edge, as the edges they had been running on were pretty worn down. That, and there was a large leak at the brake booster fitting. Works awesome now.

Anyone else know if this pump could possibly be off a newer model?

Thanks!

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Well, the blank plate is normal for all newer 1.6 diesels, I would guess at least from 84 on. Maybe the older style pump gets the oil from this hose, rather than trough the hollow drive shaft?

It could be, yes. All A2 diesels (including my 85 TD) and even some early TDIs use the same pump.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune