1995 854T Electrical Fault?

I had the alternator and battery in my 1995 854T replaced by my Volvo dealer in October 2007. (They've been great -- maintained the car perfectly since new.) I left the car in my garage for 3 weeks while on vacation and returned ~ Jan 7 to a completely dead battery. Temperature in the garage was 44F. No lights, radio, etc were left on. The service dept at my Volvo dealer says this is not uncommon in cars equipped with anti-theft alarm and anti-theft radio protection, and advised me to disconnect the battery the next time I leave the car for more than 2 weeks.

Does this sound right, or do you suspect an electrical fault?

Java

Reply to
Espressopithecus (Java Man)

Alternatively, connect a trickle charger (also called float charger) which provides a low charging current. Something like this:

Do not use a regular charger for these situations; they will overcharge a battery and ruin it if connected too long.

This is a common problem when not using a car for a while.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston