240 DL sticky choke?

Hello all, I've been lurking around for a while since buying my first Volvo, a 1988 240 DL estate, 2.3 carburetted engine, and I'm enjoying it immensley.

The engine seems to idle quite fast once it's warmed up, even with the choke knob pushed right in, but if I open the bonnet I can usually shut the choke further by hand, which calms down the idle revs (I've no tacho so can't be precise about this). Is there some springy device which is supposed to close the choke as the knob is pushed in? Should I just leave it as it is, or is it going to badly affect my fuel consumption to be running with the choke open all the time?

Thanks a lot

Olly R Glasgow, UK

Reply to
Olly R

Hi, It was loooong ago I had a Volvo 240 series but I use to have the same problem every year in november. Just disconnect the cable from the carburator and give it some oil. Then the spring inside the choke shuld be enough to bring it back by it self. If you add an extra spring, then it will not stay out the time you want it to :( Give it a try, some oil will do wonder in this case.

Pepe

"Olly R" skrev i meddelandet news:c0fgai$4g2$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com...

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

Pepe