'93 240 DL door handle

Hello all, I have a 93 240 DL on which the drivers side rear door handle fell off because the bolts worked loose. How do I remove the interior panel to access the workings of the door mechanism? Do I need special tools?

Thanks, Boyd Anderson

Reply to
Boyd Anderson

Remove the plastic square around the door opening handle (press the upper edge a bit down and the lower edge a bit up and pull it out).

Unscrew the lock-unlock button (the one just inside the window).

Pull the plastic clinders out of the base of the armrest (the two of them). You'll see two screws. Remove them too. Rotate the armrest about

60 or 70 degrees up and you can pull it out.

Rotate the clamps on the bottom of the maps-and-other-stuff-holders 90 degrees and pull them out. Move them up carefully. Remove both screws.

Use a wide screwdriver to losen the clips on the front and rear edge. Be careful not to break them.

Lift the panel up a bit and it's free.

I'm sorry for the English (I don't know how all these handles and buttons are called in English), but I'm sure you'll understand what I mean if you start removing it.

While working on the door, also check that the holes on the lower edge of the door are free and remove sand and other dirt. It will prevent rust.

Reply to
Maarten De Munck

I haven't had a 240 for a couple of years, so from memory: Remove the lock knob (unscrew) Remove the trim around the inner door release (pull off) Remove the plugs in the armrest and unscrew the screws (3 screws for power window, 2 without) Pivot the armrest 90 degrees to unhook the top Remove the trim over the window winder (manual windows only) and the screw behind it. Pull the crank off Remove the 3 quarter turn plugs in the bottom of the pocket Pull up on the pocket to release it front and rear, then unhook it from the door panel Pull the door panel off.

I hope I didn't miss any steps.

Reply to
Mike F

I just fixed a loose door handle on my '91 245 this weekend. Very simple. The only specialty tool you'll need is a panel trim remover, about $6-8 at any auto parts store. Putty knife will do in a pinch but you need to be careful. Other tools you'll need are a philips head screwdriver and a torx driver (T-20 or 25 I think). Your Volvo tool kit will have these bits in the screwdriver handle.

-Unscrew the lock knob

-Pull out the plugs on the armrest (carefully w/small screwdriver), remove the two torx-head screws. Disconnect power window switch if so equipped. Not sure how to do a manual window. I guess you'd need to remove the winder by whatever method it's held on by (clip, screw, etc.). Some trim panel tools have the clip removal tool built in, so keep that in mind. Much easier to justify a new specialty tool if it has more than one use.

-Remove plastic trim around door latch handle Should pull off with minimal persuasion.

-Using panel trim remover tool, slide tool under panel along bottom and up sides to locate the trim clips. Carefuly pry the panel out, theclips should pop out of the door w/o too much struggle. There are about 10-12 total. They should all be in the panel upon its removal. If any are still in the door, pull them out and put them back in the panel.

-Lift door panel up and off door, careful of speaker wires. Disconnect speaker wires, taking note of orientation.

-Feel around inside the bottom of door for your missing screws. This is where I found one of mine, the other was about 1/2 way backed out. They're not too big, so check carefully. If yours are missing, that will slow you down, but you should be able to get the proper sized machine screws at a hardware or auto parts store. Not sure what the size is, looked to be about

6mm, no more than 15mm long. I'm sure someone here will know the size, or you can call your local dealer and ask the parts guy.

-Screw outer handle to door. A little threadlocker wouldn't hurt so you don't have to repeat the process again anytime soon. Use a mild grade threadlocker so they can be removed if needed.

-Reverse disassembly routine to put door back together. First check the tape on the plastic sheet, mine was dried out in a few spots so I replaced a few pieces w/fresh duct tape. You want to keep this sheet in place to keep the moisture off the inner door panel. Now is also a good time to spray some white lithium grease on the inner latch mechanism, since it's exposed.

That should do it, the '93s should be very similar to the '91s so I hopefully have described everything you need to do. Total time start to finish should be an hour or less.

Good luck! MKL '91 245

130,000mi

Reply to
Mike Lenker