240 timing belt busted

My 88 240 gently coasted to a halt recently and I discovered that the timing belt had busted. No nasty crunchy noises were heard from the dying engine. But I have been told that the engine is now beyond economical repair. And yet I discover on other Volvo sites that this may not be the case and some owners have even effected roadside repairs! All opinions will be considered please. Bob :?:

Reply to
bildabob

I have an 88 240 which experienced the same unfortunate event. It did no damage whatever to the engine, and I've been told that (at least for this model) a broken timing belt will -never- cause damage to the valves or head. I had my local shop replace the belt and it's been fine ever since. I'd be very impressed by anyone who can effect a side-of-the-road fix for this problem!

Reply to
BakersT

BakersT wrote: .......I had my local shop replace the belt and it's been fine ever

A side of the road repair could actually be easier than done in a garage (with poor lighting, or with a trouble light for added light). The sunlight can provide lots of illumination. The tools are not the issue. The issue is enough light to see the timing mark on the crankshaft "pulley". Just some tools - AND a nail to keep the belt tensioner in place while putting the belt on ...

Naturally, I assume (in my climate) that the work at the side of the road would be done when the temps are above +10C :-)

Ken, Canada

Reply to
Tmac-100

The last 240 timing belt replacement I did was out in my driveway using basic hand tools. It could be done on the side of the road if I happened to have a socket set in the car.

Reply to
James Sweet

North American market 240s all have non-interference engines, so a broken belt will cause no damage. The 16 valve motor used in a few of the 740s is a different story.

Reply to
James Sweet

I was afraid someone would suggest the timing belt "roadside repair" would involve a handy pair of pantyhose ("tights" in the UK).............................

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

This has been thoroughly examined over the years. I suppose the concern comes from Gates saying the engine is interference

but probably the top level expert to appear here (Paul Grimshaw, author of The Gothenburg Bible) listed the clearances with all available cams; even with the hottest cam available it is definitely non-interference. In addition, although crashed engines are legion in alt.autos.honda (where the engines are definitely interference) I have never seen a post that related a crashed B23 engine.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

ISTR B200's (8 valve flat head, combustionchamber in piston design) are interference

Reply to
M-gineering

its a simple job as your engine hasn't the interference design .cost me $100au dollars took very little time . the twin over head cam engine is the problem one the 240 is easy .

Reply to
JohnRobertson

Many thanks to all who took the trouble to answer my query. Perhaps i should add that the 240 in question is for the UK market and ..it sez on the engine plate.. a B200E model. :!:

"JohnRobertson" wrote: > bildabob wrote: > > My 88 240 gently coasted to a halt recently and I discovered > that the > > timing belt had busted. No nasty crunchy noises were heard > from the > > dying engine. But I have been told that the engine is now > beyond > > economical repair. And yet I discover on other Volvo sites > that this > > may not be the case and some owners have even effected > roadside > > repairs! All opinions will be considered please. > > Bob :?: > > > its a simple job as your engine hasn't the interference design > .cost me > $100au dollars took very little time . the twin over head cam > engine is > the problem one the 240 is easy .

Reply to
bildabob

In that case I have no idea, but I'd try putting a new belt on and see how it runs.

Reply to
James Sweet

Pretty pointless, given that this is an interference engine- without a headswap

Reply to
M-gineering

Ahh... a check of the valve clearances will give good clues as to the extent of the damage. Any that are suspiciously wide indicate a bent valve.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

archive:

I don't think you can do anything to an 88 vintage volvo non-turbo 4 that would make it beyond economical repair, including lubricating it with carborundum suspended in nitric acid.

The 240 engine is a non-interference design, which means that even when the valves and pistons get out of their correct relationship nothing will hit and nothing should be damaged.

A shop which tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are doing visa-vis older Volvos. 850, 960 and newer all indeed can have massive internal damage from a failed timing belt.

If you are not prepared to DIY the belt replacement, make sure that whoever does it is someone who works on Volvos all the time. You don't want anyone learning at your expense.

John

Reply to
John Horner

He said this is a B200E, is that still non interference? I'm not familiar with that engine since we never had it over here.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi, maybe this will help answer some of the questions:

Description

a.. b.. B200E,B230E: fuel injection high compression version General Specifications

Engine Year CC Fuel System HP (SAE) @RPM LB-ft (SAE) @RPM CR B200E 1985- 1986 Bosch K jet 117 6000 117 3000 10

Tune-Up Specifications

Engine Year Idle RPM Spark Plugs Type Plug Gap (in.) Timing BTDC @ RPM Valve Clearance Cold Warm Cranking Compression (PSI) B200E 1985- 1986 W6DC 0.030 10@ 0.014 - 0.016

It's all I could find. Good luck "bildabob".

Andy I.

: >> On Jan 28, 1:25 pm, bildabob wrote: : >>

: >>> My 88 240 gently coasted to a halt recently and I discovered that the : >>> timing belt had busted. No nasty crunchy noises were heard from the : >>> dying engine. But I have been told that the engine is now beyond : >>> economical repair. : >

: >

: > The 240 engine is a non-interference design, which means that even when : > the valves and pistons get out of their correct relationship nothing : > will hit and nothing should be damaged. : >

: > A shop which tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are doing : > visa-vis older Volvos. 850, 960 and newer all indeed can have massive : > internal damage from a failed timing belt. : >

: > If you are not prepared to DIY the belt replacement, make sure that : > whoever does it is someone who works on Volvos all the time. You don't : > want anyone learning at your expense. : >

: > John : : : He said this is a B200E, is that still non interference? I'm not : familiar with that engine since we never had it over here.

Reply to
Andy

Well, it coesn't cost much to replace the timing belt; if it runs fine after that, then obviously it's money well invested. If it's crunched up, then you haven't invested too much to find out.

I don't think it makes a difference, but I'm not 100% certain.

Reply to
John Horner