240 timing belt

hi.

if the timing belt broke, does the valves crush on the pistons?

It's a curiosity

Reply to
Andrea1717

Yes. No. Maybe.

What year, and what engine?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

No, not in any 240 sold in North America at least.

Possible exceptions may be hot cam/higher compression versions in parts of Europe, but I'm told even the K cam does not cause valve interference.

Either way you do not want the belt to fail, if it does the engine stops without warning and you are stuck.

Reply to
James Sweet

James Sweet ha scritto:

Of course.

But I read somewhere this and I look for a confirm. Thanks, Andrea.

PS My car is a Volvo 240 SW B200F motor

Reply to
Andrea1717

She asked what if it failed stupid, can't you understand her question? You can't control it.

Here is the straight answer:

---------------

Your steering wheel will not work, you alternator stops charging, and you won't go very far with your car, it will stop running in 15 minutes, because all electrical loads take power off your 12V battery.

Reply to
richard

He answered the question, and your answer is wrong. It won't last for

15mins, nothing will work from that point, what you are describing is if the accessory belt(s) fail not the timing belt. Without the timing belt the engine will not run and in come cases it will damage the engine if it fails while the engine is running.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

richard pretended :

You answered what would happen if the fan belt to the alternator broke. The question was what would happen if the timing belt broke. Both answeres are correct. You just answered a question that wasn't asked. Who is the "stupid" one here?

Reply to
JvC

B200F I don't know, we never got that on this continent, so I can't give you a definitive answer. Our 240s came with the B21, B23, or B230 series depending on the year.

Reply to
James Sweet