88 240 Ign Cont Module

I Believe my ICM is bad on my 88 240 wagon. I have a spare in my 86 sedan. The Bentley manual says you can not unplug the harness without destroying the one-way plug. If that is so, do I splice in,(cheat), a new ICM or remove each one with it's respective harness. Will the 86 unit work properly in an 88.

Reply to
jacktheboy

You can unplug the harness no problem. Why do you think the ICM is bad? They can fail, but not often. Usually the wiring harness is what fails.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's counter-intuitive, but unplugging the harness does cause all kinds of grief. Volvo bulletins say put a new harness in if it's unplugged for any reason. Although I've never tried, I'd like to think I could make an old harness connect to a different control unit and work.

The '88 unit will work fine in an '86.

Reply to
Mike F

I've unplugged them before to swap modules, never had a problem doing that.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks to all replies It was the cam bolt snapping of in the cam.

Reply to
jacktheboy